CHARLIE BARTLETT. High-school satire about an unlikely teen rebel. With Anton Yelchin, Robert Downey Jr. Director: Jon Poll (1:37). R: Language, drugs, nudity. At area theaters.It’s not hard to guess how director Jon Poll spent the ’80s: His first movie is an affectionate callback to “My Bodyguard,” “Risky Business,” and every high-school movie John Hughes ever made. But while “Charlie Bartlett” cheerfully wears all those influences on its sleeve, what matters most is that it wears them well. When we first meet Charlie (Anton Yelchin), he’s getting kicked out of his umpteenth private school, this time for making fake IDs. He’s not a bad guy – in fact, he’s unshakably sweet – but he’s also pretty confused. His father is gone and his mother (Hope Davis) is too doped up to be much help, though she does offer her own sort of support. Mostly, this comes in the form of pharmaceuticals, which the family shrink is always happy to supply. When Charlie is sent to public school, it’s clear he’s going to have to adapt, and fast. A rich kid in a small pond, he’s beaten up within minutes of his arrival. Desperate for acceptance, he presents school bully Bivens… Read full this story
- Texas Schools to Drug Test Students in 7th Grade: 'Great Kids Make Bad Decisions Every Day'
- Police Arrest Rocklin Student For Making Threat Toward High School
- 7 Ways the Vivaldi Browser Helps Students Get Better Grades
- 'Nudging' At-Risk Students Improves Performance
- Tougher grading system for Louisiana schools worry educators their institutions won't meet standards
- Final Grades May Be In Limbo As UC Santa Cruz Grad Student Strike Continues
- The Year of Charlie Puth
- Pentagon orders review of international student vetting
- Getting students into college is overriding goal of two new Baton Rouge charter schools
- How it is better for your children NOT to have a teenage romance: Students who never go on dates are happier and more sociable than their peers in relationships
'Charlie Bartlett's' student schemer makes grade have 336 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at June 3, 2008. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.