Eighties teen idol Corey Haim, who battled drug addiction for years but recently returned to films, died Wednesday of an apparent accidental overdose.
Haim, 38, collapsed in his mother’s Burbank apartment just before 1 a.m.
“Corey was running a fever (Tuesday) from about 99 to 101 degrees, so a doctor came over and said he was fine,” Haim’s agent, Mark Heaslip, told the Daily News. “That night he woke his mom up and said ‘Lie next to me, I’m having trouble breathing.'”
Shortly after midnight, the concerned mom woke and saw Corey walking around in the bedroom. “That’s when he collapsed,” Heaslip said.
Mom Judy Haim called 911 at 12:53 a.m. The “Lost Boys” star was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital at 2:15 a.m.
“She is very, very upset. They were extremely close,” Heaslip said, adding that Haim was helping her battle breast cancer.
“He supported her all the way through the chemo and radiation. He surprised her with a really nice wig. He really took good care of her,” the agent said.
“He was a good boy,” the grieving mom told RadarOnline. “I’m devastated by his death.”
Investigators suspect an accidental drug overdose, but the official cause is pending a toxicology exam, a coroner spokesman said.
“We found four of his prescriptions with meds in them. No illicit drugs were located,” the spokesman said.
The Canadian-born actor was the breakout star of the 1986 movie “Lucas” but was known more recently for the A&E reality show “The Two Coreys” about his friendship with fellow former teen idol Corey Feldman.
The show was cancelled during its second season. Feldman reportedly refused to continue working with Haim until he sought help for his drug problem.
“This is a tragic loss of a wonderful, beautiful, tormented soul, who will always be my brother, family, and best friend,” Feldman wrote on his blog.
In a 2007 interview with Britain‘s The Sun newspaper, Haim talked about his demons.
“I started on the downers, which were a hell of a lot better than the uppers because I was a nervous wreck. But one led to two, two led to four, four led to eight, until at the end it was about 85 a day – the doctors could not believe I was taking that much,” he said.
“He was extremely defensive and insulted,” sources connected to the show said.
- 'They are killing me, son': Demand for police probe over Gosport victims killed by drug overdose
- Demi Lovato awake in hospital after suspected heroin overdose
- 2 teens among 3 found dead in Michigan hotel, man hospitalized; drug overdoses suspected
- Spring man’s police custody death ruled accidental drug overdose
- TWO killed in London Bridge terror attack: Maniac wielding TWO KNIVES and wearing a FAKE suicide vest on a stabbing rampage is shot dead by police after hero passers-by wrestle him to ground
- SAG-AFTRA Reprimands L.A. Local President Patricia Richardson For Refusing To Remove Alleged Harasser Corey Feldman From Sex Harassment Committee; Actor Refutes Claims
- James Argent PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: TOWIE star makes the most of his Spanish getaway before facing two week quarantine in the UK... as he moves on from explosive split with ex Gemma Collins
- Mom, 31, found dead with two toddler kids in SUV ‘likely overdosed before children died from heatstroke’
- Suspect killed by Baton Rouge police was facing arrest for alleged machete attack on girlfriend
- Revealed: Neighbours suspected 'incest murder' half-siblings who killed two of their children were a couple 'when the kids started calling him DAD'
- ‘Knowing it could kill you isn’t a deterrent’: the deadly trade in diet pills
- Madeleine McCann suspect launches new bid to walk free: Christian Brueckner seeks early release from drugs sentence just two days after scrapping first appeal
- Federal judge's son, 20, is shot dead and her criminal defense attorney husband is critically injured after a gunman disguised as a FedEx driver ambushed their home - four days after she was assigned a case linked to Jeffrey Epstein
- In fatal Tigerland shooting, suspect pointed gun at officers before he was killed, chief says
- 'Anti-feminist' lawyer who 'shot dead federal judge's son and wounded her husband while posing as a FedEx driver before killing himself in his car' had terminal cancer and previously trashed her in a self-published book
- Youngest ever paid FBI drug informant 'White Boy Rick', 51, is released from prison after 32 years - having spent his whole adult life behind bars
- Ukrainian rapper's wife 'chopped up her dead husband and kept him in the fridge after cleaning his organs in a washing machine and sprinkling them with salt'
- Japanese actor Haruma Miura dead at 30: Kimi Ni Todoke star passes away in suspected suicide
- Olivia de Havilland, star of 'Gone With the Wind,' dies at 104
- Man suspected in Vallejo kidnapping once dismissed as hoax
'The Lost Boys' star Corey Haim dead at 38; police suspect drug overdose have 808 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at March 10, 2010. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.