Paying for recorded music is a voluntary act — you can get almost any tune you want on demand from streaming music services or YouTube. Of course, musicians wind up making little or no money from this arrangement, but thanks to crowd-funding, bands can get paid in advance of making a record. At least initially there are no freeloaders, so the band really has an incentive to record! The same Internet that made it harder than ever to make a living from recorded music has made it possible for bands to directly connect to their fans. Amanda Palmer has been one of the more successful artists using this approach. Palmer set out to raise $100,000 via Kickstarter to fund a recording and an art book in 2012. Then she hit the jackpot and received nearly $1,200,000 from her backers. Palmer’s wildly successful Kickstarter story gets a little murky in the aftermath, but she published an open letter to Morrissey urging the British singer to do a Kickstarter project of his own. In a letter on Salon’s Web site, Palmer urged the former Smiths frontman to skip searching for a new record label and fund his next album through his fans…. Read full this story
- Danny Masterson Asks Fans To Support The Ranch Even With Rooster 'MIA'
- The prank-loving cops of ‘Super Troopers’ return 17 years later in a crowd-funded sequel
- Skybound Asks Fans What Kind Of The Walking Dead Video Game They Want Next
- Virginia Gov. Ralph Northan joins WTOP for 'Ask the Governor' April 25
- Ali Wong joins Birds of Prey movie in supporting role
- Black teen gets shot at after missing bus and asking for directions: 'I turned back and saw him aiming at me'
- Zack Snyder Praises Fans Who Support His Justice League Cut
- 'Aquaman' Director James Wan Asks Fans to Stop Bullying Others for Disliking Movie
- The Fiery Furnaces ask fans to choose their next album
- Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam joins WTOP for 'Ask the Governor' May 30
Crowd-funded music: Omaha Diner joins a wave of artists asking fans for direct support have 331 words, post on www.cnet.com at May 21, 2013. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.