I used to work at a popular women’s magazine where I once pitched a guide to brides with dads who weren’t dead but weren’t around — I’d never seen anything like that before, and I figured there had to be a lot of women (myself among them) who were confused about the etiquette. Do you ask some 50-something dude you’ve had weird lunch with like three times to walk you down the aisle just because you share genetic material? Can you ask a male friend to do the father/daughter dance? Can you just invite your dad but not have him in the wedding? Is that weird? The editor of the wedding section of the magazine sent me an email back that brusquely explained: “That’s not really our demographic.” Whether she was pigeonholing all so-called “deadbeat dads” into some kind of racial or socioeconomic category that didn’t “apply” to the readers, or she had deluded herself into thinking that every woman who picked up the magazine was from a Norman Rockwell painting of a family, or there were orders from above, OR there was some less offensive reason she said that, I’ll never know. While they still may not know how… Read full this story
- NHS worker 'stabbed to death by masked men' days after losing dad to coronavirus
- Sunday Telegraph readers share their precious Anzac Day photos
- Singer Arjun Kanungo’s father passed away due to liver cancer
- 'My dad paid for my wedding but I refused to let him attend the big day'
- 'Dad... is that you?' Peter Andre jokes that Tiger King's Joe Exotic is Junior's REAL father as he shares hilarious throwback of his son with a mullet
- Darren Criss Mourns the Death of His Dad With Touching Tribute
- Throwback! Ranbir’s Foreword For Dad Rishi Kapoor’s Biography: Wish I Could Spend More Time With Him
- An emotional Anderson Cooper reveals he's a father
- BEL MOONEY: Is my son unfaithful because of his dad's cheating?
- 'There were a lot of questions': Adam Thomas admits he and brothers Ryan and Scott had 'emotional' confrontation with father who was absent from their lives for many years
Father's Day Miscellany For Those Of Us With Deadbeat Dads have 371 words, post on jezebel.com at June 15, 2013. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.