The internet lost it when Steve Harvey mistakenly crowned the wrong woman Miss Universe on Sunday night, and many felt bad for Miss Colombia Ariadna Gutierrez, who had to give up the crown to the rightful owner, Miss Philippines Pia Alonzo.
But you might be wondering: What exactly did Gutierrez lose, besides the title of Miss Universe?
The winner of the pageant gets quite a lot, but the biggest perk may be all the free publicity – and despite lower ratings this year, with the viral mix-up, both Gutierrez and Alonzo are going to get plenty of that.
But as Miss Universe, Pia Alonzo will be entitled to a series of press appearances and travel that help raise awareness for charitable causes. The pageant explains in an FAQ what Miss Universe does after nabbing the crown:
After the winner is crowned, they are whisked away to New York City and are prepped for a media tour where they make multiple appearances at media outlets, networks, charitable organizations, sponsor events, etc. The titleholders spend their reign representing their platforms, raising awareness and funds for charitable alliances, and traveling.
Beyond media attention, Miss Universe gets a year’s salary, a fancy New York City apartment, and plenty of free stuff (especially clothes and beauty products) provided by sponsors. The prize package for this year includes:
A year-long salary as Miss Universe
Luxury accommodations in a New York City apartment for the duration of her reign, including living expenses
A one-year scholarship from the New York Film Academy College of Visual Performing Arts
A one-year supply of haircare products and tools from CHI Haircare
A new custom diamond tiara and jewelry designed by D.I.C
A shoe wardrobe from Chinese Laundry Shoes
Swimwear by Yamamay
A year’s worth of skincare products from Image Skincare
Personal services including membership to Gravity Fitness @ Le Parker Meridien Hotel and hair services from John Barrett Salon
Modeling portfolio by leading fashion photographer Fadil Berisha
Dermatology and skincare services provided by Dr. Cheryl Thellman-Karcher
Professional health and nutrition consultation by Tanya Zuckerbrot, MS, RD and dental services by Dr. Jan Linhart, D.D.S.
Professional representation by The Miss Universe Organization
Extensive travel representing sponsors and charitable partners
Access to various New York City events including casting opportunities, movie premiers, screenings, Broadway shows and launch parties
And personal appearance wardrobe and styling by the official Miss Universe Organization fashion stylist
- Australian University Gets $310K Worth of Fee-Free Software
- Fire reported at Montrose luxury apartment complex
- Former Miss Universe Dayanara Torres Starts Radiation Therapy For Melanoma
- Former Miss Universe Dayanara Torres Just Revealed Her Skin Cancer Diagnosis
- Former Miss Universe Dayanara Torres Just Revealed She Has Skin Cancer
- Luxury apartment hunting: Internet lags traditional methods
- The New Miss Universe Is a 22-Year-Old Self Defense Instructor
- See How NYC Luxury Apartment Rent Compares With US Cities
- Money for Nothing? Rent-Stabilized Tenants Claim They're Getting Bilked for Shoddy Apartment Renovations
- Get Fit, Firm, And Pain-Free!