Gone are the days of three martini lunches and afternoon steak and potatoes on Wall Street, but it’s not at all because the market is in chaos.
People weren’t eating steak lunches right before the lean times 2008 either.
In fact, to capture a group of guys in suspenders gorging themselves at Delmonico’s Steakhouse before 2:00 pm you would have to time travel back to the 1980s.
These days, as our friend Josh Brown of the Reformed Broker pointed out, Wall Street is leaner and meaner, and the market is nastier and faster. Trades happen faster than the blink of an eye – there’s no time for sluggishness.
So when Wall Street (which is actually in Midtown) goes to lunch, they do it a hop, skip and jump from their desks. They also eat things that won’t make them feel like passing out afterwards.
Note: We would like to differentiate, for our readers, the difference between a trader’s schedule and a banker’s/investor’s schedule. Traders hang on the market’s every whim. They do not sit down and enjoy a luxurious lunch. That would be suicide.
Bankers and investors, though, they get to relax for an hour or so. These are the people you might find out enjoying a nice piece of fresh fish or a roll.
We know, not that sexy.
Milos is the undisputed heavy-weight champion of Wall Street lunch.
Both it and Limani both have amazing lunch pre fix menus. You’ll spend an arm and a leg for a piece of loup de mer at these restaurants at night, but during the day they’re totally affordable.
As one Wall Streeter told us… “Nobu, always.”
Specifically, Nobu 57, which is in Midtown.
A lot of the lunch game on Wall Street is about location, location, location.
That is why Zuma, a relative newcomer, has done so very well. At night it’s something of a hot spot, too, which Wall Streeter’s are all about.
Limani is the east side answer to Milos. It’s at Rockefeller Center, Milos is in hedge fund land more to the west.
For now, these two Greek spots live in relative peace with one another – and there is much rejoicing, for they are delicious.
The Four Seasons
When The Four Seasons Restaurant closes this summer, it will be the end of an era. This restaurant is a power lunch institution.
If you lunch here, you will see titans of every industry from Zac Posen, to Roger Altman (of Evercore), to Barry Diller (he has the center boss table).
Let’s focus in on one spot…
- “Equity” Finally Puts The Women Of Wall Street Front And Center
- 10 Quick Tips To Create A Home Office You’ll Actually Want To Work In
- 300-Year-Old Secret 'Lucky' Shoe Found in Cambridge University Wall
- Variety is the spice of life in sensational Sri Lanka: Why Lonely Planet was right when it said the country is the best place to visit in 2019
- Postmates unveils cute Wall-E lookalike robot that can autonomously deliver lunch to your doorstep
- More places refusing to take cash
- Climate change will change how you eat
- Inside Lucy Fallon's home: Coronation Street star's newly-renovated house boasts a brightly-lit dressing room, plush interiors and vibrant colour schemes
- Teen stops eating and has anorexic liver failure after being told 'you're fat'
- Beyond The Walls
- Is the solution to antibiotic resistance in SEWAGE? Bacteria-eating viruses have cured over a dozen Americans of superbugs - but the FDA has long dismissed it as 'Soviet pseudoscience'
- Down and out in the Emerald City: Inside the world of Sydney's 'invisibles' who live on the streets due to poverty, violence or even by choice... and where begging can earn you $300 a day
- Why the Trump family selling its D.C. hotel could actually add to ethical concerns ǀ View
- Conservative street artist casts Rep. Maxine Waters as knife-wielding slasher movie icon on Halloween billboard
- Why Amazon and Google Chose New York City Instead of a Place That Needs Them More
- Here’s a Story About Ukraine That’s Actually Fun to Read
- The great Christmas sandwich taste test! FEMAIL tries the high street's range of turkey feasts and vegan-friendly sarnies for 2019 (so, which comes out on top?)
- My Lunch with Marisa Tomei: The Actress on ‘The Realistic Joneses,’ ‘Girls,’ and De Blasio’s NYC
- What Mumbai chefs like to eat: Quirky corn ribs, garlic butter crab
- Khloe Kardashian's 'average' daily diet revealed: Health-conscious star drinks water at 5am, eats Chinese salad for lunch and has Greek yoghurt before bed
5 places where you’ll actually find Wall Street eating lunch have 776 words, post on www.businessinsider.sg at March 4, 2016. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.