Are the lions of Gir forest really wild and free? Prasanna D Zore/Rediff.com doesn’t believe so.The lions, lionesses and their cubs are not really free inside Gir forest. A symbiotic relationship between trackers, guides and tourists — money being the glue — has deprived these wild animals of their freedom. It was a fixed match, recently. Between two lions, a lioness and umpteen tourists and guides aboard open jeeps inside Gir forest in Gujarat. We were the spectators. It made me ponder: Are these animals really wild and free? It all began with an evening ‘safari’ — between 3 pm to 6 pm — in a Maruti Gypsy mid-May . “It is easy to sight lions in the evenings as they come out of the woods to satiate their thirst near water sources,” said people who had been there and done that. I believed them totally. Others, mostly locals, said, “You won’t see anything unless you show the guides the face of ‘Gandhiji’ (currency notes)”. We believed them too. Lion footprints dot the jungle tracks in Gir. Depending on the depth, shape and size of these footprints the guides tell you whether these belong to adult lions, lionesses or cubs… Read full this story
- Shocking new footage shows stick-thin lions at Sudan horror zoo as campaign to save remaining four malnourished animals continues after a lioness died
- Football fans bring LION to stadium after rescuing it from struggling zoo to roar team to victory
- The dark true story of Netflix’s Tiger King Joe Exotic who kept hundreds of lions and hired a hitman to kill his rival
- Boris Johnson rejects Nicola Sturgeon’s demand for a second Scottish referendum after SNP landslide
- Joe Exotic’s Precarious Kingdom
- What about our ‘pride’?
- India's tiger population grows to 3,000 in conservation boost
- Will xXx 3 Be the First Big Box Office Hit of 2017?
- Zoo Story, by AM Homes
- Split Scares Up $40.2M to Win the Weekend Box Office
The caged lions of Gir have 328 words, post on www.rediff.com at July 5, 2016. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.