CANNES, France (AFP) – Here are the winners from the 2017 Cannes film festival, as chosen Sunday by a star-studded jury led by Spanish director Pedro Almodovar. Palme d’Or: ‘The Square’ Swedish film “The Square”, a dark satire of the contemporary art world, was the surprise winner of the top Palme d’Or prize at the world’s biggest film festival. The film, a savagely funny takedown of political correctness and the things we choose to hang in art galleries, had premiered to strong reviews — but even director Ruben Ostlund was shocked as he picked up the award, shouting, “Oh my God, oh my God!” Grand Prix: ‘120 Beats Per Minute’ The film was a deeply personal project for director Robin Campillo, who was himself an activist in the French branch of the group that helped shame the world into action. Jury Prize: ‘Loveless’ The film by Kremlin critic Andrei Zvyagintsev offers a stinging critique of modern Russian society, depicting a country obsessed with consumerism and its smartphones. Best actor: Joaquin Phoenix He gives an electrifying performance as Joe, a former soldier who is hired by a New York state senator to rescue his daughter from a paedophile ring. Best actress:… Read full this story
- Oscar winner Gary Oldman pictured on the red carpet at the Cannes Film Festival
- Cannes Film Festival 2018
- ‘Nakkash’: Film on Muslim Craftsman represents Secular India at 71st Cannes Film Festival 2018
- After Weinstein, gender inequality still stalks Cannes
- Director Apolline Traore's Film "Frontières" Selected by French Institute for Distribution Among Its Cultural Network
- Who’s a good boy? Cannes Palm Dog awards are today
- The surprise Palme d'Or win for Japanese drama 'Shoplifters' at Cannes
- Female stars in Cannes red-carpet protest
- 'Wonder Woman 2' filming to start 'shockingly soon'
- Japan's Shoplifters wins Cannes Palme d'Or
Winners at the 2017 Cannes film festival have 303 words, post on entertainment.mb.com.ph at May 29, 2017. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.