NEWARK, N.J. — Jury deliberations in the bribery trial of Democratic U.S. Sen. Bob Menendez are scheduled to resume amid uncertainty over the fallout from comments made by an excused juror last week. The juror told reporters on Thursday that although many jurors appeared to be leaning toward acquittal, she anticipated a hung jury. She was excused because of a previously scheduled vacation that the judge knew about during jury selection in August. An alternate juror will take her place on Monday, and deliberations will start over. The judge could interview jurors individually to determine if any are aware of Evelyn Arroyo-Maultsby’s comments. Prosecutors alleged Menendez and wealthy Florida eye doctor Salomon Melgen engaged in a bribery scheme between 2006 and 2013 in which Menendez traded his political influence for luxury vacations and flights on the doctor’s private plane. They each face about a dozen counts including bribery, fraud and conspiracy. Menendez also is charged with making false statements for failing to report Melgen’s gifts on Senate disclosure forms. Both men deny the allegations. Defense attorneys have sought to show jurors that the two men are longtime friends who exchanged gifts out of friendship. They also contend Menendez’s meetings with… Read full this story
- Roger Stone trial resumes second day of jury deliberations
- Jury Deliberations Continue In Deadly 2015 East Village Gas Explosion
- East Village Explosion Verdict Watch: Jury Deliberations Continue In Deadly 2015 Blast
- Jury Deliberations Underway In Bucks County Murder Trial Of Sean Kratz
- Roger Stone Reportedly Pleads to Trump Through Alex Jones As Jury Deliberates His Fate: Please 'Pardon Me'
- Focus Turns To Pair Of Levi’s Jeans In Rahmael Holt Trial, Jury Also Sees Crime Scene Photos
- Jury Deliberations Begin In Solebury Farm Triple Murder Case
- Hillsborough trial: Match commander David Duckenfield's 'personal responsibility' at heart of trial, jury told
- Defense To Call Rahmael Holt’s Girlfriend, Pastor On Day 2 Of Sentencing Phase Of Trial
- Jury sentences Bellaire cop killer to death
Bob Menendez trial: Jury deliberations scheduled to resume have 330 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at November 13, 2017. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.