It’s no secret that India is grappling with the consequences of rapid urbanisation. As the country’s cities have grown, they have faced many challenges, especially in transportation. It’s an increasingly difficult task to move India’s millions of city dwellers in quick, reliable, affordable and environmentally friendly ways. Today, traffic congestion is an unfortunate and inevitable feature of life in large cities across the nation, and real drag on millions of Indian citizens’ lives. Air pollution, by no means a uniquely Indian challenge, has reached truly daunting proportions. In countries like the United States, which last experienced rapid urban growth decades ago, urban transportation places personal car ownership at its core. That comes at a high cost. Cities spend billions of dollars on parking spaces, using valuable resources and real estate that could be transformed into housing or office space. In the US, we waste seven billion hours a year sitting in traffic. Not only does traffic impact economic productivity, emissions from idling cars make up more than 20% of our total carbon footprint. In India the situation is not vastly different. For decades a fledgling public transport system made private car ownership a necessity in cities, sometimes for personal commuting… Read full this story
- Uber CEO short list said to include HP Enterprise chief Meg Whitman
- Ride Share Drivers Should Be Employees, Judge Says, While Denying Their Request for Emergency Injunction
- World Cup 2018: Mental Strength Carried Croatia To Final, Says Dejan Lovren
- 266 crore new shares to list post bank merger, says PNB
- Dara Khosrowshahi says Uber was winning too much to fix its broken culture
- Auckland Transport's $1m Uber-style trial 'growing'
- Coronavirus | 2.88 lakh pandemic PF withdrawal claims processed, says EPFO CEO Sunil Barthwal
- Canada transport minister says won’t ground Boeing 737 MAX 8 after Ethiopia crash
- California House of Horrors: Rescued Children's Condition is 'Heartbreaking,' Says Hospital CEO
- Sonali Bendre shares ‘secret formula’ for sturdy immunity, says it helped her avoid infections during chemo
ET GBS 2018: Shared mobility a fix for urban transport woes, says Uber CEO have 331 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at February 19, 2018. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.