My newly retired constitutional law professor Dominique Rousseau, a very respected professor who taught at Sorbonne Law School once said. “the constitution is a regulator of passions”. It reestablishes balance between the extreme wills upheld by different components of a democracy. We must learn to respect the constitution in order to advance as a law abiding nation. The state of democracy is always crucial, regardless of the country, or even the political parties in a given nation. The word “democracy” in itself is very often misunderstood or misused, even though its subjective meaning is debatable. Democracy, derived from “dēmokratía” in ancient Greek, can be divided into two segments : “demos” meaning the people, and “kratos” meaning to command. in a democracy, the people hold the power. However, today most of us forget that Indonesia, as well as almost all democratic countries, adopt a representative democracy. In a representative democracy, the people express their will through their representatives, the elected officials. In fine, a representative democracy can only be successful enough and flourish if the people trust in the system. This is why Article 22E of the Indonesian Constitution states that : “General elections shall be conducted in a direct, general,… Read full this story
- Can Brandywine Realty Trust's (NYSE:BDN) ROE Continue To Surpass The Industry Average?
- Delay of Enagi Balappa Memorial Trust, irks theatre lovers
- Facebook’s launch of Portal has been stymied by trust issues
- One in four Europeans trust artificial intelligence more than politicians, says study
- What Kind Of Shareholders Own Independence Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE:IRT)?
- 5 reasons to never trust a free VPN
- News24.com | OPINION: Mantashe betrayed the public trust. Why he must be charged
- Why we stopped trusting elites
- Does Investors Real Estate Trust (NYSE:IRET) Have A Particularly Volatile Share Price?
- UN chief welcomes upcoming launch of Syrian Constitutional Committee
Back to the Constitution: Trust the system have 314 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at March 15, 2018. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.