MANILA, Philippines – On Sunday, March 18, Catriona Gray won the title of Miss Universe Philippines 2018 before a big crowd at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.
A fan favorite from the beginning of the competition, Catriona walked home with the lion’s share of awards, nabbing the Pitoy Moreno Best in National Costume, Jag Jeans, Best In Long Gown, and Best in Swimsuit awards. ( FULL LIST: The official candidates of Bb Pilipinas 2018 )
Catriona also made history, becoming the first Filipina to win both Miss World Philippines and Miss Universe Philippines.
Here’s a look back at Catriona’s journey.
Catriona confirmed she was joining Miss World Philippines 2016 (The competition to represent the country in the Miss World pageant was then a separate competition from Bb Pilipinas). In an interview with Rappler , she said her decision to join the competition was a surprise back then.
” I don't know. I was even kind of surprised myself. I didn't expect it because I kind of look at the whole pageantry thing in a certain light before. And all of a sudden, parang overnight, I saw it in a different perspective and I looked at it as the heart of it is the advocacy. So that's what made me fall in love with it. So that's why I'm joining Miss World,” she said.
At the Miss World Philippines competition, it was clear that Catriona was the woman to beat. She won many of special awards, gave a splendid answer during the Q&A round, and had the backing of a huge fan base. She won Miss World Philippines that year , earning her the right to represent the country in the Miss World pageant to be held in the US in December 2016.
MISS WORLD PH 2016. Catriona wins Miss World Philippines 2016.
File photo by Alecs Ongcal/Rappler
During the Q&A, Catriona was asked by Miss World 2015 Mireia Lalaguna, “Which qualities do you think it will take to wear my crown?”
“I think first of all, it takes bravery. To be a Miss World is to carry a burning torch. It is like action carried out by one to illuminate the lives of many. And I would dedicate my whole self, my love for the arts, and my voice to trying to uplift, empower, and educate people. And it would be my greatest honor and duty to hold this torch high enough so that all the world could feel and see its light,” Catriona said.
She ended her journey in the competition as part of the Top 5, winning 3rd runner-up in the pageant.
During the launch of the new Miss World Philippines Organization, Rappler got a chance to talk to Catriona about her plans as she was set to crown her successor. Aside from concentrating on her modeling and music career, Catriona was asked if she was opened to the possibility of joining another pageant.
” I'm keeping my mind open to it but there [are] no plans yet,” she said.
MISS WORLD FINAL WALK. Catriona Gray during her Miss World PH final walk in 2017.
File photo by Alecs Ongcal/Rappler
At the peak of the application process for the Bb Pilipinas pageant, reports started to circulate that Catriona was set to throw her hat (or crown, as the case may be) into the ring again. True enough on January 8, Catriona came to the BPCI office and submitted her form , with fans eagerly awaiting her appearance.
Unsurprisingly, Catriona made it to the official line up of candidates for the pageant.
NUMBER 20. Catriona is one of the tallest ladies in the batch.
Photo from Facebook/Bb Pilipinas
After two months of pre-activities, 6 ladies became queens on Sunday, March 18. Catriona was the darling of the crowd, winning almost all the special awards. She was glowing as she walked onstage, wearing a gown by Mak Tumang with her 3 Stars in the Sun ear cuff..
Q and A. Catriona Gray answers during the Q and A portion of the pageant.
Photo by Rappler
But it was the Q&A that made everyone truly root for for her. US ambassador to the Philippines Sung Kim asked her, “After the devastating war, Marawi is now on its way to recovery. What is your message to the young women of Marawi?”
“My answer and message to the women [of Marawi] is to be strong. As women, we are the head of the household. And, we have amazing influence not only [on] our own families – as mothers, sisters, and friends – but also [on] our community. If we could get the women to stay strong and be that image of strength for the children and the people around them, once the rebuilding is complete, the morale of the community will stay strong and high,” she said.
After an hour’s deliberation, the winners were announced and Catriona won the title of Miss Universe Philippines.
THE QUEEN. Rachel Peters crowns Catriona Gray as Miss Universe Philippines.
Photo by Rappler
Get ready Universe, Catriona is about to take you by storm. – Rappler.com
Bb Pilipinas Coronation night
Bb Pilipinas 2018 Post Pageant
- Philippines villagers refused advice to flee storm, police officer says
- Muslim student becomes first to wear hijab in the Miss England finals
- Mother and child among dead as Typhoon Mangkhut batters Philippines
- Dozens of houses buried in massive landslide in Philippines
- Muslim law student, 20, to become the first beauty queen to wear a hijab in the Miss England finals
- Finland 'world's happiest place' in 2018
- Great British Bake Off 2018: Meet the new contestants
- Huddersfield student to be first to wear hijab in Miss England final
- Miss Colombia Stirs Controversy, Saying Beauty Pageants Are Not for Transgenders
- Miss Huddersfield makes history by taking to Miss England final catwalk in hijab
- Miss Huddersfield makes history on Miss England final catwalk
- Parents reveal the top 50 pleasures they miss most from life before kids
- Everything you need to know about university clearing
- Who is Kate Silverton? Strictly Come Dancing 2018 star and BBC news reader
- Missing interpol president Meng Hongwei sent wife pic of knife before vanishing
- People Don't Just Vanish, Do They? Saudi Journalist is Latest VIP Missing Person
- Miss Great Britain 2018 is crowned in Leicester final
- Who is Lauren Steadman? Strictly Come Dancing 2018 star and British Paralympian
- Who is Lauren Steadman? Strictly Come Dancing 2018 star and British Paralympic athlete
- Dirty bomb terror fears as RADIOACTIVE device goes MISSING
From Miss World Philippines 2016 to Miss Universe Philippines 2018: The journey of Catriona Gray have 1086 words, post on www.rappler.com at March 19, 2018. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.