While airline passengers wait for onboard WiFi to go mainstream, they can test a new technology using light for in-flight data transmission in the skies. The technology is called LiFi. What if light was the answer to in-flight connectivity? It may sound crazy, but the technology offers several advantages, such as very high-speed multimedia data throughput — some 100 times faster than existing WiFi systems — and eliminating the need for on-board copper cables, which add extra weight to the aircraft, impacting fuel efficiency. Read also: ‘Gold rush’ for Wi-Fi on board planes spurs innovation It may sound futuristic, but this technology — dubbed LiFi, for “Light Fidelity” — will be demonstrated at the International Paris Air Show (June 17-20) in a medium-haul Air France cabin mock-up, where visitors will be able to experience it first-hand. The technology is being showcased jointly by Air France, Latécoère, which works closely with major aircraft manufacturers on interconnection systems, and video games company, Ubisoft. Visitors will be able to experience LiFi via the “Trackmania2 Stadium” video game. A tournament will even be organized offering participants the chance to compete in the final in September 2019 on an aircraft specially fitted with 12 seats… Read full this story
- New MRSA buster can wipe out superbug plaguing hospitals and killing Brits using light beam and oxygen cells
- Smokers of 'light' or menthol cigarettes are 'just as likely to die from lung cancer as those who use standard ones'
- Google Flights launches 'Price Guarantee' program, will refund the difference if ticket prices drop
- Tours, additional flights launched to serve Vietnamese football fans
- Do blue light blocking glasses actually work?
- Toyota Connected India opens new office in Chennai
- Indigenously-built Saras aircraft successfully completes second test flight
- Schools shut, flight operations remain suspended due to heavy fog in Kashmir
- World’s Leading Developers of Electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (eVTOL) Aircraft to Meet at Transformative Vertical Flight 2020 Conference
- Alliance Air Launches Flight from Guwahati to Dimapur Under UDAN-RCS
LiFi: Using light for in-flight connectivity have 329 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at April 1, 2018. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.