Ajinomoto Co. is considering selling Amoy Food Ltd., the century-old company that makes Hong Kong’s most popular brand of soy sauce, according to people with knowledge of the matter.The Tokyo-based seasoning company is working with an adviser to gauge potential buyers’ interest, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because the information is private.A sale of Amoy, which began producing soy sauce in China in 1908, could fetch about $70 million to $80 million (¥7.6 billion to ¥8.7 billion), the people said.The Asian private equity firm Unitas Capital is meanwhile pursuing the sale of another Chinese condiment producer, Jiahao Foods, which makes wasabi, chicken powder and soy sauce. The potential $600 million sale has attracted interest from suitors including Hormel Foods Corp., people familiar with the matter said last month.Deliberations on a potential sale of Amoy are at an early stage, and Ajinomoto could decide to keep the business, the people said. A representative for Ajinomoto said in response to Bloomberg queries that nothing has been decided.Ajinomoto bought the Amoy business from Danone for roughly HK$1.8 billion ($235 million) in 2006. About two years later, it recorded an impairment loss of ¥13.4 billion ($122 million) on the… Read full this story
- Britain calls for ‘constructive’ democracy talks in Hong Kong
- Li Ka-Shing sells Hong Kong office tower for record $5.2 Billion
- Hong Kong celebrities flock to show their love for China as the city's anti-Beijing protests intensify
- Hong Kong police officers are accused of torturing and abusing a 62-year-old man after detaining him for drunken behaviour
- China flexes its military muscles in latest anti-riot drill aimed at Hong Kong protesters as 'more than 10,000 paramilitary police officers' wait for Beijing's command near the city's border
- 'Helpless' family of British Hong Kong consulate worker say they are 'worried sick' after he is jailed for 15 days in China for 'violating the law'
- Authentic Hong Kong dimsum in Cebu
- Hong Kong Pro-Democracy Movements Back To Square One As Govt. Cancels Talk
- Chef Margarita Fores shares Hong Kong’s best tastes
- Hong Kong Airlines targets Cathay Pacific’s core business market
Japan’s Ajinomoto said in talks to sell Hong Kong’s No. 1 soy sauce brand have 347 words, post on www.japantimes.co.jp at May 30, 2018. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.