Prince William, the future king of the United Kingdom, is in the middle of a quandary that’s probably familiar to most people: wedding vs. sports. His younger brother, Prince Harry, is marrying actress Meghan Markle on Saturday, and he’s the best man. But England’s Football Association Cup final between Manchester United and Chelsea is on Saturday as well, and William is expected to attend in an official capacity.
While this seems like a no-brainer — family over soccer, and you spend the day stealing glances at your phone during the ceremony and reception — it’s not quite that easy for William.
Why does Prince William need to attend the FA Cup final?
This is more about duty than about William wanting to watch some soccer on a Saturday afternoon. William has been the FA president since 2006, and he takes his responsibilities seriously. Every year, the FA president is expected to attend the final game at Wembley Stadium and present the trophy to the winner. The FA Cup final is a hugely important sporting event in England, and the president’s duties are a longstanding tradition.
See more of the Royal Family:
This conflict isn’t news to William, of course. He’s been thinking about it for months. Via USA Today, here’s an exchange between him and and a broadcaster from the beginning of 2018.
“It’s a big decision, are we going to Wembley, or are we going to …?” William was asked by former England national team soccer player turned broadcaster Rio Ferdinand during an interview in January.
“You’ve touched on something there, Rio, yeah,” William responded. “I’m still working it out. I’ll see what I can do.”
He might be able to do both
Even though the two events are happening on the same day, they’re not happening at the same time. And that’s how Prince William might be able to attend both. The wedding starts at noon in England, while kickoff for the FA Cup final is at 5:30pm. He could attend the wedding and the lunchtime reception, traverse the 20 miles between St. George’s Chapel and Wembley in a helicopter, present the trophy to the winning team, and then return in time for the evening reception at Frogmore House.
No one knows what will happen yet
The wedding is just days away, but there’s been no official word from anyone — Prince William or FA officials — about Saturday. The FA hasn’t even publicly discussed a contingency plan. In fact, an “insider” revealed to The Daily Express in April that the FA expects William to be there no matter what. But according to USA Today, TV channel iTV reported that William won’t attend the FA Cup final and will spend the entire day at the wedding.
Will Prince William duck out of his brother’s wedding to attend a soccer match? Or will he anger English soccer fans with his absence? With four days until the nuptials, the answer will be revealed soon.
– – – – – –
More from Yahoo Sports:• Dan Wetzel: Thanks to Supreme Court, NFL protests won’t matterReport: David Tepper to buy Carolina PanthersHere’s the reason why no one will beat Golden StateBattered UFC fighter who wanted to quit match speaks
- Bizarre photoframe of white silhouette behind Prince Charles leaves people baffled
- Harry weds Meghan: Images from the Royal wedding
- Why April Is a Special Month for Kate Middleton, Prince William and Queen Elizabeth
- Prince Charles will make £2million contribution to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's £4million-a-year security bill amid claims couple will use private guards because Met Police can't carry guns in US
- 'He Walks Just Like George!' Prince Harry and Prince William Poke Fun at Home Videos of Dad Prince Charles as a Toddler – Watch the Clip!
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry set up permanent home in California after fleeing coronavirus lockdown in Canada
- Prince Charles Spoke to Sons Prince Harry and Prince William About His Coronavirus Diagnosis
- Prince George and Princess Charlotte Will Be in Aunt Pippa Middleton's Wedding — Find Out Their Roles!
- Prince Charles Has a Sweet Nod to Prince George in His Home Office — and It Almost Went Unnoticed!
- Prince Harry eager to start over in LA but guilty over leaving the UK amid lockdown
- Prince William: Harry Hasn't Asked Me to Be His Best Man (Yet!)
- Highs and lows of Prince Harry's royal life - including 'Nazi' uniform and naked games
- Who Is Invited to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Wedding? Guest List Rules and More
- 'I'm naming this award Harry, because it's coming back to the US with me!' Awkward-looking Prince William and Kate Middleton can't help laughing as Margot Robbie reads Brad Pitt's cheeky Megxit quip at BAFTAs
- Queen 'remains in good health' after Prince Charles tested positive for coronavirus: Palace releases new pictures of monarch, 93, on the phone to the PM in move to calm fears for her and Prince Philip
- Harry and Meghan post last message as senior royals
- Here Comes the Groom! Prince Harry Arrives at His Royal Wedding to Meghan Markle
- Countdown to Royal Baby! Everything We Know About Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Baby So Far
- Barack and Michelle Obama not attending Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's royal wedding
- 'THEY should pay!' British taxpayers' fury as £20m bill for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's security falls entirely on UK after Canada refuses to pay it after Megxit
Prince William might leave Prince Harry's wedding to watch a soccer game have 1789 words, post on www.aol.com at May 15, 2018. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.