DEDICATED gadget fans may soon enjoy a new iPad Pro (or possibly iPad X) from Apple.
We’ve compiled a simple guide to the latest iPad 2018 news, rumours, and leaks before next week’s September Apple event.
New iPad Pro 2018 release date – when is it out?
Every September, Apple hosts a major event in California to reveal new iPhones.
But the company also uses the occasion to refresh other product lines, including the iPad series of tablets.
Apple already revamped its entry-level iPad earlier this year, with a cheap new £319 model.
That leaves the pricier iPad Pro range in need of an update.
It’s expected that Apple will reveal a new model at the September 12 event as its new Apple Park HQ.
Pre-orders for any devices announced at the event are likely to begin on September 14, with an official release pegged for September 21.
Of course, Apple hasn’t confirmed any details about a new iPad, so take these rumours with a pinch of salt for now.
New iPad Pro design, specs, features and more
The big change we’re expecting to see from the iPad Pro is the addition of Face ID.
That’s Apple’s facial recognition system, which uses sensors and lasers to unlock your device – by scanning your face.
It’s a replacement for the Touch ID fingerprint scanner, which usually lives inside the Home button on your iPhone or iPad.
With last year’s iPhone X, Apple ditched the Home button so it could fill more of the phone’s front with screen.
Now it’s rumoured that Apple is following that same design strategy with the iPad Pro – or iPad X, as it may now be called.
That means we could see a swanky iPad with a front face that’s filled almost entirely by display.
Adding fuel to this rumour fire is a major spoiler for Face ID on the iPad, which was spotted in Apple’s own code.
A developer named Guilherme Rambo dug into the beta code for Apple’s new iOS 12 update for the iPhone and iPad.
In it, Apple made reference to Face ID on the iPad, including a set-up page and a relevant settings menu.
So what else could change with a new model?
We’d expect to see the introduction of a brand new chip to replace last year’s Apple A11 Bionic processor.
It’s likely to be called the Apple A12, and rumour has it that we’re going to see major performance improvements with the new chipset.
A processor in a computer or mobile phone uses transistors – tiny electronic switches.
These switches open and close, allowing electricity to pass through. This switching process is how computing works, at its most basic level.
The more transistors you can squeeze onto a chip, the more computing you can get done.
Tech firms are constantly trying to squeeze more of these transistors onto chips, to boost computing power.
Last year’s A11 iPhone chip was built using a 10nm manufacturing process – that means the distance between each transistor was 10 nanometres.
This year, we’re expecting Apple to use a 7nm process – meaning a smaller 7-nanometre gap between transistors.
That means Apple can fit more transistors onto its chip, reportedly boosting performance by 20%.
It also means we’ll see efficiency gains: it’s believed that the new chip will use 40% less power, boosting your battery life overall.
Apple is also expected to kit out its new iPad Pro with its new iOS 12 software.
This major update will almost certainly be available on any new mobile device revealed by Apple in September.
iOS 12 improves app loading times, introduces new animated Memoji emoji that look like you, and makes it easier to manage (and delete) your Home screen notifications.
There’s also a new Screen Time feature that lets you track (and limit) the amount of time you spend in apps.
iPhone XS viewed from every angle in FIRST video days before Apple’s big reveal
iPhone leak teases two NEW colours just five days before official reveal
Want a faster iPhone? Don’t miss THIS deadline for a cheap speed boost from Apple
Apple’s SECRET iPhone is already up for pre-order on this Romanian e-shop
Apple fans reveal biggest gripe with the iPhone – and it’s NOT cracked screens
CORE OF THE PROBLEM?
Apple engineer says pressure to design iPhone is reason I’m divorced
New iPad Pro price – how much will it cost in the UK?
Apple’s cheapest iPad Pro costs just £319, but a new iPad Pro or iPad X will likely cost much more.
Buying an iPad Pro directly from Apple today will set you back anywhere from £619 to £1,249.
A new model will probably cost the exact same amount of money, although there haven’t been any pricing leaks to confirm this just yet.
It’s worth noting that Apple is supposedly going to drop the price of some iPhone models this year.
If that’s the case, Apple may also be open to reducing the cost of an iPad Pro by a small amount.
However, we’re largely in the dark when it comes to new iPad Pro pricing, so don’t get too excited just yet.
Would you be tempted by Apple’s rumoured iPad? Let us know in the comments!
- Cyberpunk 2077 PS4 Pro and PS5 gameplay footage released
- Xiaomi Mi 10T series release date, price, news and features
- AMD Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 Price, Benchmarks, Specs and Release Date
- First Xiaomi Mi 11 release date and design leak shows it could be a real Galaxy S21 rival
- Call of Duty Warzone on mobile release date, news and rumors
- Authoritarian, elitist, anti-motorist.. and eye-wateringly expensive: Drivers, business and economists slam PM's 'Stalinist' plan to ban new petrol and diesel vehicles by 2030 - a date that was NOT in Tory manifesto - and his ten-point green revolution
- Have phones got too expensive? How the new iPhone 12 Pro Max will set you back $2,369 thanks to super-fast 5G and a 12 megapixel camera - but it doesn’t come with headphones or a even charger
- Arlo Pro 3 announced with 2K HDR, spotlight, and color night vision
- Why this is a big hint at new Apple iPad models coming soon
- Facebook's new Portal TV brings smart video calling to your television
- The Pixel 4a now looks better than ever in the new limited edition Barely Blue color
- The best iPad to buy in 2020
- Black Friday iPad deals: Savings on iPad Air and iPad Pro
- iPad (2020) vs. iPad Mini 5: Is bigger better?
- Black Friday iPad deals: Get $149 off iPad Pro, $20 off iPad Mini
- Apple Black Friday deals: Big 2020 price cuts on iPads, Apple Watch, AirPods and more
- 16-inch MacBook Pro gets a $250 price cut at Amazon for Black Friday
- All the iPhone 12 specs people are talking about: Battery, cameras, price
- Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro Review: Big in size, specs, and camera, but not in appeal
- Black Friday Apple deals: Big 2020 price cuts on iPads, Apple Watch, AirPods and more
New iPad Pro 2018 – an easy guide to iPad X release date, specs, features and price news have 1196 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at September 7, 2018. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.