caption Great car, small market. source Hollis Johnson/Business Insider Tesla critics and short-sellers have offered dire warnings about impending electric-car competition coming for the automaker. But globally, EV sales amount to only about 1% of sales – there’s no meaningful basis for competition at that level. That doesn’t mean that EVs are a bad bet – over time, the market for them should grow and at some distant future point, become very competitive, and Tesla could be a leader. Electric cars have been a topic of frenzied discussion for almost a decade. The chatter has greatly intensified as Tesla has grown and at times become the most valuable US automaker by market capitalization, beating out the Detroit Big Three: General Motors, Ford, and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. True, there are quite a few more electric vehicles coming to market in the next few years than have been in the market for the past 10. This has led Tesla naysayers – the likes of Jim Chanos, who has built up an oft-proclaimed short position in Tesla shares – to adopt a tough-minded thesis about CEO Elon Musk’s carmaker. Tesla is in trouble, the argument goes, because the competition is coming. Nice soundbite,… Read full this story
- Market selloff indicating start of an earnings downgrade cycle: Kotak AMC
- Tesla previews ventilator powered by Model 3 tech
- French car market plummets 88.8 % in April
- Tesla cuts price for China-made Model 3 cars by 10% to qualify for subsidies
- Golden Globes 2012: George Clooney faces stiff competition – from himself
- Intel buys transit data startup, wants a piece of the $160 billion self-driving car market
- Who needs a smart grid when you’ve got a smart electric car?
- Tesla's Elon Musk nears $750 million options payday ahead of results
- Tesla Says Cars Can Automatically Stop For Traffic Lights, Stop Signs
- New feature for Tesla's autopilot means cars will automatically detect stop signs and traffic signals and slow the vehicle down
Tesla isn’t facing a wave of competition because there isn’t any competition in the electric-car market have 319 words, post on www.businessinsider.sg at September 8, 2018. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.