caption Great car, small market. source Hollis Johnson/Business Insider Tesla critics and short-sellers have offered dire warnings about impending electric-car competition coming for the automaker. But globally, EV sales amount to only about 1% of sales – there’s no meaningful basis for competition at that level. That doesn’t mean that EVs are a bad bet – over time, the market for them should grow and at some distant future point, become very competitive, and Tesla could be a leader. Electric cars have been a topic of frenzied discussion for almost a decade. The chatter has greatly intensified as Tesla has grown and at times become the most valuable US automaker by market capitalization, beating out the Detroit Big Three: General Motors, Ford, and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. True, there are quite a few more electric vehicles coming to market in the next few years than have been in the market for the past 10. This has led Tesla naysayers – the likes of Jim Chanos, who has built up an oft-proclaimed short position in Tesla shares – to adopt a tough-minded thesis about CEO Elon Musk’s carmaker. Tesla is in trouble, the argument goes, because the competition is coming. Nice soundbite,… Read full this story
- 10 Sexiest Cars in Comic Book Movies
- Watch Faraday Future's first production car race silently through the desert
- Fast, quiet and affordable: Toyota investing $400 million in flying car company
- New policies to cause big changes to vehicle market in 2020
- Jaguar develops a shape-shifting car seat that simulates walking
- Tesla’s Autopilot was engaged when Model 3 crashed into truck, report states
- The battle in the e-hailing market among the 'big four'
- Thug admits leaving cop for dead after mowing him down with his own police car in bungled Range Rover theft
- Faraday Future’s first car — the FF91 — is here
- Win a brand new electric car worth £30k - MG’s most high-tech vehicle ever
Tesla isn’t facing a wave of competition because there isn’t any competition in the electric-car market have 319 words, post on www.businessinsider.sg at September 8, 2018. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.