Irving, Celtics rally from 22 down to extinguish Suns in OT
(Associated Press) – November 9, 2018 – 2:35pm
PHOENIX — Kyrie Irving scored 18 of his season-high 39 points in the fourth quarter and overtime, and the Boston Celtics rallied from a 22-point deficit for a 116-109 win over the Phoenix Suns on Thursday night (Friday Manila time).
Irving scored Boston’s first six points in the extra period, and Marcus Morris finished with 17 against his former team — including the tying 3-pointer with 1.1 seconds left in regulation off a pass from Irving.
Morris hit from the top of the arc to tie it at 100. Jaylen Brown added 17 points, all after halftime, for the Celtics.
Booker scored 12 points in the fourth quarter but Phoenix couldn’t hold onto a 15-point lead to begin the final period.
The Celtics ended a two-game skid, while the Suns have lost nine of 10.
Boston recovered from an ice cold start and won despite shooting 40.2 percent from the field. The Celtics trailed by double digits for much of the second half until a furious late rally.
Suns rookie Deandre Ayton had 14 points and 10 rebounds.
Irving hit a 3 with 35.1 seconds to go in the fourth, then his steal led to Brown’s layup that cut the Suns’ lead to 98-97 with 7.3 seconds to play. Warren hit two free throws, then Morris took a pass from a double-teamed Irving for the tying 3.
Warren, starting for the first time since Oct. 31, scored 14 first-quarter points as the Suns took advantage of the Celtics’ shooting woes. Phoenix led 32-13 after 12 minutes.
After making their first shot of the game, a 3 by Irving, the Celtics missed their next 12 attempts and the Suns raced out to a 15-3 lead.
Aron Baynes‘ putback with 5:04 left in the first quarter was the Celtics’ second basket of the game, and they shot just 4 of 22 in the quarter.
Boston got the lead down to 14 in the second, but a 3 from Booker gave the Suns a 48-26 advantage with 4:31 left in the half.
The Celtics trailed 55-35 at the break.
Consecutive baskets by Booker put the Suns in front 75-58 in the third quarter.
- Bulpett: Irving, Celtics turn talk into triumph
- Jalen Rose has a take about Kyrie Irving’s feelings toward the Celtics’ postseason success
- Guess who’s missing Kyrie Irving the most?
- How the roles of various Celtics players change with Kyrie Irving sidelined
- Celtics beat 76ers 105-87 as Hayward, Irving make returns
- Irving leads Celtics past Knicks 128-100
- Kyrie Irving, searching for answers, apologizes to LeBron James
- Don’t be afraid to get LeBron James into Celtic green
- Celtics' Kyrie Irving to miss remainder of season, playoffs
- Morning sports update: Danny Ainge ‘had no idea’ he was live when he revealed the Celtics’ pick to Terry Rozier