Martial law in Mindanao to be extended anew? Christina Mendez (The Philippine Star) – November 10, 2018 – 12:00am MANILA, Philippines — The Cabinet security cluster may recommend the extension of martial law in Mindanao. National Security Adviser Hermogenes Esperon said they are collating the inputs of various sectors before coming up with their recommendation. “We are getting all the feedback from the people… it may interest you to know that a majority of the people of Mindanao want it,” Esperon said. Malacañang said President Duterte is reassessing the peace and order situation in Mindanao to determine if there is a need to seek Congress approval for the extension of martial law. The President convened the executive committee of the National Security Council last week for a briefing on the peace and order situation in Mindanao. However, Esperon said the extension of martial law should be ”on a last resort basis,“ adding that Congress would have the final say. “The study should be extensive… that’s why… the Armed Forces and the PNP (Philippine National Police) are doing it with the Department of National Defense and the DILG (Department of the Interior and Local Government),” he said. Esperon said the DILG and PNP had earlier expressed their support for the extension of martial law in Mindanao. Armed Forces chief Gen. Carlito Galvez allayed fears that the extension of martial law would lead to abuses by military personnel.