BOSTON — Kevin Spacey is scheduled to be arraigned next month on allegations he sexually assaulted the teenage son of a Boston television anchor in a restaurant, a Massachusetts prosecutor said Monday.
The Academy Award-winning actor, 59, is due in Nantucket District Court on Jan. 7 to face a charge of indecent assault and battery, Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O’Keefe said.
Shortly after the charge became public, Spacey posted a video on YouTube titled “Let Me Be Frank” and tweeted a link to it, breaking a public silence of more than a year.
In the bizarre dramatic monologue delivered in the voice of Frank Underwood, his character on Netflix’s “House of Cards” who was killed off after sexual misconduct allegations emerged, he says, “I know what you want. You want me back.”
He goes on to say, “Of course some believed everything and have just been waiting with bated breath to hear me confess it all, they’re just dying to have me declare that everything they said is true and I got what I deserved. … I’m certainly not going to pay the price for the thing I didn’t do.”
It is unclear whether Spacey is referring to the charge he faces.
He later adds, “Soon enough, you will know the full truth” before the three-minute video ends with a burst of dramatic cliffhanger music.
A message seeking comment was left Monday with Spacey spokeswoman Laura Johnson.
Former news anchor Heather Unruh came forward in November 2017 and said the actor stuck his hand down her then-18-year-old son’s pants and grabbed his genitals at the Club Car Restaurant on the resort island of Nantucket in July 2016.
Her son fled the restaurant when Spacey went to use the bathroom, Unruh said at the time.
Unruh said her son didn’t report the assault right away because he was embarrassed.
“The complainant has shown a tremendous amount of courage in coming forward,” Mitchell Garabedian, a lawyer for Unruh’s son, said in a statement Monday. “Let the facts be presented, the relevant law applied and a just and fair verdict rendered.”
Spacey remains under investigation of sexual assault in Los Angeles for an incident that allegedly occurred in 2016. Prosecutors declined to file charges in a 1992 allegation because of the statute of limitations.
Spacey had also faced accusations of sexual misconduct while artistic director of London’s Old Vic Theatre.
The accusations against Spacey, which came early in the #MeToo movement that brought attention to sexual assault, cost him roles.
- Joe Biden accuser Tara Reade says she 'lost total respect' for CNN's Anderson Cooper and other TV news anchors when they failed to ask the presumptive presidential nominee about her sexual assault allegations during interviews
- The Bizarre, Unsolved Mystery of ‘My Immortal,’ the World’s Worst Fanfiction Story
- Who needs new late-night celebrity interviews? Relive these 15 bizarre and memorable moments
- Trump campaign slams 'double standard' over Biden allegations, in scathing video
- EXCLUSIVE: Love Island Australia's Vanessa Sierra launches a PORN career with her YouTube star boyfriend Luke Erwin as they sell explicit videos for $10 a month
- Ellen DeGeneres SLAMMED by former bodyguard for her bad behaviour at 2014 Oscars claiming she refused to give him eye contact: 'She's cold'
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Will new therapy drug be a COVID-19 game changer?
- ITV thrown into chaos after cancellation of Love Island leaves wannabes furious and gaping hole in channel’s schedule
- Bill Cosby hits the town in what legal experts say is apparent strategy
- Coronavirus: Can pandemic disaster films help us navigate the outbreak?
- Coronavirus: What can we learn from a Hollywood pandemic? The positives from four outbreak films
- Coronavirus news from the Bay Area: April 29-30
- NBC News chairman Andy Lack exits, as reports Peacock Network is being investigated surface
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Trump touts reopening as virus fatality forecasts trigger alarm
- Coronavirus live updates: Oakland isolates homeless, health-compromised people in trailers
- Coronavirus live updates: Apple still holding annual developer conference — but virtually
- By Biden’s Own Standards, He Is Guilty As Charged
- Inside the Near Meltdown of Roxane Gay and Christina Hoff Sommers’s Australian Mini-Tour
- Senate Intelligence Committee finds no evidence of collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign
- World Cup 2010 live blog: 11 June
Kevin Spacey posts bizarre video ahead of sex-assault arraignment have 724 words, post on www.mercurynews.com at December 24, 2018. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.