SAN ANTONIO/WASHINGTON (AFP) – Julian Castro, the telegenic former mayor of San Antonio, Texas and an Obama-era Cabinet member, launched his bid on Saturday (Jan 12) to become the nation’s first Hispanic president, emphasizing a message of hope and diversity at a time when Americans are locked in angry debate over immigration and border security. “I am a candidate for president of the United States,” the 44-year-old Castro told a large crowd in San Antonio’s historic Guadalupe Plaza, in a speech that frequently invoked the immigrant heritage that brought his family to the US from Mexico. Often called a rising star in the Democratic Party, Castro, who was Obama’s secretary of housing – and the youngest member of that Cabinet – is expected to be part of a huge and diverse field of candidates eager to challenge President Donald Trump. At a time when the federal government has been partly shut down as Trump demands funds to build a wall on the Mexican border, Castro sounded a contrasting message. He said San Antonio, a city that is nearly two-thirds Hispanic, “represents America’s future: diverse, fast-growing, optimistic”. “Yes, we must have border security, but there is a smart and humane way… Read full this story
- The presidential race isn't on hold -- it's playing out right before us
- Larry David Thinks Bernie Sanders “Should Drop Out” Of Presidential Race
- Bernie Sanders Could Remain in the Presidential Race Until June
- 16 States Restrict Access to Voting by Mail—How That Could Change 2020 Presidential Election During the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Billionaire Mike Bloomberg drops out of Democratic presidential race, endorses Joe Biden
- Klobuchar To Drop Out Of Presidential Race, Endorse Biden: Report
- Mark Cuban flirting with 2020 presidential bid in post-coronavirus 'America 2.0'
- The Coronavirus Outbreak And The 2020 Presidential Primaries Could Be On A Collision Course
- Virtual Grand National 2020 recap: Race time, stream free, TV channel, betting tips and all runners and riders
- Another Democratic Congressman Eyes 2020 Presidential Run
Obama protege Julian Castro joins 2020 presidential race have 328 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at January 13, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.