Craig Kielburger is co-founder of the WE Movement, a global organization that empowers young people to end child labor and break the cycle of poverty. (CNN)I’ve been told it takes a village to raise a child, but in my 24 years as a children’s rights activist, I’ve learned the opposite is true too. Sometimes it takes a child to raise a village — or to take down an injustice. When I was 12, I read about Iqbal Masih, a child slave who escaped the carpet factory where he’d been chained to a loom since the age of four. Iqbal led an anti-child labor crusade that made global headlines, including the one that first caught my attention. Read More “Battled child labor, boy, 12, murdered.” I was stunned. I was sitting at a breakfast table in small town, Ontario, Canada, with enough food to eat, a soccer coach and a comfortable life. Meanwhile, another boy my age had been gunned down in Pakistan for speaking out about the factory owners who bought him for $16 to settle a family debt. How could two lives be so different? I started calling anti-child labor organizations, asking how I could help. They told me… Read full this story
- Teen authors: Publisher helps young people tell stories in their own voices
- State department of labor probes Jon & Kate Gosselin in child labor laws investigation
- Relatives of Jon and Kate Gosselin set to testify about Pennsylvania child labor laws
- Apple - maker of popular iPhone, iPod - admits to using child labor in some of its factories
- Jon Gosselin: TLC violated child labor laws, took advantage of his 'lack of sophistication'
- Is anyone listening to young people about climate change?
- Running helps young people stay active long after they quit other sports
- China: Taiwan Election Results Show Young People Do Not Want Independence
- Obama on Trump's DACA decision: 'To target these young people is wrong'
- Pope plays rock star to 25,000 screaming young people at St. Joseph's
Craig Kielburger: How young people can help to end child labor have 335 words, post on edition.cnn.com at March 13, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.