CAIRNS, Australia: A man has been bitten on the leg by a shark in Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, authorities said Monday (Mar 25), the fourth such attack in six months at the popular tourist site.Paramedics were called to a diving pontoon at Hardy Reef off the Queensland coast just after midday local time after the man, aged in his 20s, was bitten on his thigh.His injuries did not appear to be life-threatening and he was taken by helicopter to a nearby hospital in a stable condition, Queensland ambulance and rescue authorities said.It is the fourth shark attack – including one fatality – in six months in the Whitsunday Islands region.A 33-year-old man died in November after his legs and arm were mauled. In September, a woman and a 12-year-old girl were bitten and seriously hurt by sharks within 24 hours of each other in the same area.Authorities had set out baited lines to capture and kill several sharks after the September attacks.Australia has one of the world’s highest incidences of shark attacks, but fatalities remain rare.Shark attacks are considered to be uncommon in the Whitsundays, a collection of spectacular tropical islands and popular tourist destination at the heart of the Barrier… Read full this story
- Crossbreeding corals: the hunt for ways to heal the Great Barrier Reef
- Great Barrier Reef, Queensland: where to dive, snorkel and stay
- Tourism industry funds research trip to most damaged part of Great Barrier Reef
- Great Barrier Reef suffers mass coral bleaching due to heat stress
- Rescuing the Great Barrier Reef: how much can be saved, and how can we do it?
- Land-clearing figures show 314,000 hectares felled in Great Barrier Reef catchment
- Study finds 'alarming' levels of chemicals in Great Barrier Reef turtles
- Bravery awards: South Australians recognised for dealing with shark attack, fire and floods
- Capitola Paddle Boarder Shark Attack Closes Nearby Beaches In Santa Cruz County
- Great Barrier Reef survival relies on halting warming, study warns
Man mauled in fourth shark attack on Barrier Reef in 6 months have 332 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at March 24, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.