BALTIMORE – At least one person was killed and six injured in a shooting on Sunday (April 28) evening in West Baltimore, Baltimore Police Commissioner Michael Harrison said.
According to CNN, the authorities are asking for the public’s help in identifying the gunman and more potential victims.
The person who died ran behind a nearby church and collapsed, Mr Harrison said in a news conference. But the shooting was not connected to the church, despite earlier reports.
A man approached an intersection where two cookouts were taking place on opposite sides of the street and started “firing indiscriminately into the crowd”, said Mr Harrison, according to CNN.
It appears that the gunman targeted one or more people in the crowd, he said. Investigators are trying to determine if the two cookouts were connected.
“We know that many people were out here,” Mr Harrison said.
“It is only with the community’s help that we will be able to identify those responsible.”
Acting Mayor Bernard Young echoed the sentiment in appealing to the public for information.
“Someone knows something,” he said.
The victims were both male and female, Mr Harrison said. Their identities and conditions are unknown.
The incident comes just days after a gunman opened fire on a synagogue in San Diego, California, killing one and injuring several others.
- 5 Injured at Mall Near Baltimore, Police Say
- At least 4 dead after gunman opens fire at Pittsburgh synagogue
- Baltimore Police officers found guilty of racketeering, robbery in Gun Trace Task Force corruption case
- Gunman opens fire 'killing four and injuring several others' in mass shooting at college Halloween party in California Airbnb
- 'Gone where?' Family searches for answers after man flees Baltimore police, disappears into Inner Harbor
- One year into consent decree, Baltimore Police reforms move forward slowly and behind the scenes
- First court hearing since beginning of Baltimore Police consent decree begins Friday
- One officer dead, 6 people injured after gunman opens fire in 'ambush-like' attack in Colorado
- One officer dead, 6 people injured after gunman opens fire in 'ambush' style attack in Colorado
- After being shot, Baltimore police officer spends four years recovering in hope of returning to duty