Shanghai opened one of the world’s biggest dog shows on Tuesday but animal activists and online critics have condemned China’s hosting of the event due to the widespread consumption of dog meat in the country. The four-day World Dog Show comes for the first time to China, which consumes around one-third of the estimated 30 million dogs eaten for their meat worldwide by humans each year, according to Humane Society International. Britain’s The Kennel Club, which calls itself the world’s oldest such organisation, has already announced it was snubbing the event, citing the sometimes “brutal” methods used in China to slaughter canines. “The Kennel Club will not be attending the show with its roadshow stand,” it said in a statement on its website. Various animal rights organisations have launched campaigns against the decision by the Belgium-based World Canine Organisation, known by its French acronym FCI, to award the event to China, and a petition on social-action site Care2.com has drawn more than 700,000 signatures. Activist groups said they were using the event to highlight the dichotomy between China’s love of the dog as a companion and the persistence of the meat trade. “It’s a double standard that enrages many dog… Read full this story
- Animal rights activists slam Diestel, turkey supplier to Bay Area
- 'Breasts are made to give life': Tammin Sursok questions society's double standards towards breastfeeding when 'lingerie on billboards is acceptable'
- ‘BJP has double standards over Tipu’
- Animal activist SPAT in the face of a bottle shop owner and called him a pig after he asked her if she wanted to join a Melbourne Cup sweepstake
- Margaret Court calls for grand slam anniversary honor at Australian Open
- Czech Ex-Intel Chief Slams West for Double Standards After Khashoggi's Death
- Ben Shapiro slams media's double standard on whistleblower: They're 'so invested' in ousting Trump
- Who is Naomi Osaka, how many Grand Slam does the 2019 Australian Open winner have and what is her world ranking?
- Paws Off: Animal Behavior Expert Argues That Your Dog Hates Hugs
- Sanju Samson slams Double Century: 212 not out with 20 fours and 9 sixes to post Highest Score in Vijay Hazare Trophy
Animal activists slam 'double standards' as Shanghai dog show opens have 366 words, post on en.rfi.fr at April 30, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.