REUTERS: AC Milan’s hopes of qualifying for next season’s Champions League suffered a setback after they were beaten 2-0 by Torino on Sunday, their first Serie A defeat to the Turin club since November 2001.
An Andrea Belotti penalty and Alex Berenguer strike in the second half put Walter Mazzarri’s side in charge before Milan captain Alessio Romagnoli was sent off late on for dissent.
The win lifted Torino to 56 points, level with Milan, but the Turin club move ahead of Gennaro Gattuso’s side and Atalanta into fifth place due to their superior head-to-head record over both sides.
Roma currently occupy the fourth and final Champions League spot on 58 points, but Atalanta (56) have the chance to overtake them by beating Udinese on Monday.
(Reporting by Alasdair Mackenzie, editing by Pritha Sarkar)
- Juventus defeat in Champions League football sends shares tumbling
- Politano, Perisic put Inter Milan on brink of Champions League
- AC Milan's top four hopes boosted with win over Frosinone
- Liverpool stuns Barcelona to enter Champions League final
- Smarting Barcelona host Champions League chasing Getafe
- Speculation mounts over AC Milan sale to Asia
- Berlusconi rejects offer for AC Milan
- Monaco and Lyon clinch Champions League spots
- Atletico title hopes hit by limp defeat at Bilbao
- Florenzi hits back at Ronaldo’s ‘you’re too small’ jibe
- Sepp Blatter hits out after the FA’s David Gill resigns his Fifa post
- Wolves set up Torino clash in playoffs
- Deloitte Football Money League 2019: Manchester United knocked off top spot by Real Madrid
- Football: Five things to look for in the Bundesliga
- Premier League: Manchester City Snap Liverpool's Unbeaten Run To Reignite Title Race
- PSG, French football ready for Neymar exit
- Icardi marks return with goal as Inter Milan thrash Genoa
- The 20 richest football clubs in the world in 2019
- Two stunning strikes keep Napoli second, Milan teams win
- Milan extend coach Gattuso's contract until 2021
Football: AC Milan's Champions League hopes hit by Torino defeat have 296 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at April 29, 2019. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.