Neither Trent Alexander-Arnold nor Andrew Robertson have Lionel Messi’s star power, but the buccaneering Liverpool defenders could play just as vital a role as the Barcelona captain in their mouth-watering Champions League semi-final. Virgil van Dijk has hogged the spotlight among Liverpool’s defenders with a superb campaign that earned the Dutch centre-back the Professional Footballers’ Association player of the year award. Ahead of Wednesday’s first leg against Messi’s Barca, Robertson and Alexander-Arnold have emerged as essential contributors to Liverpool’s bid for Champions League glory. With 24 assists between them in all competitions, England right-back Alexander-Arnold and Scotland left-back Robertson are pivotal figures in Jurgen Klopp’s game-plan. Robertson’s 11 assists have equalled the Premier League record for a defender and Alexander-Arnold is not far behind, with nine, making Liverpool’s full-backs are as much wingers as defenders. It has become the most demanding, tactically significant position in the Liverpool team. Without Robertson, 25, doing the job of two players with his lung-bursting runs up and down the flanks, Senegal winger Sadio Mane would not have the freedom to move infield, from where he has scored 24 goals this term. Mohamed Salah’s licence to roam from the wing is only possible because there… Read full this story
- Peter Moore claims Liverpool are ‘back on their perch’
- Thomas Cook: customers start flying back home from Tunisia
- Trump fires back; Johnson flies back
- Inter without Lukaku for Barca test, says Conte
- Aberdeen forward McGinn ready for testing week
- NASA is ready to test its first all-electric experimental X-plane: 'A significant event'
- Joe Giudice calls Teresa before flying back to Italy... after he's released from ICE custody while awaiting final decision in deportation appeal
- Sky Blues aiming to bounce back in tough test at L2 leaders
- Liverpool’s Klopp ready for Salzburg surprise
- How Liverpool was dragged out of the 80s and into the future
Liverpool's flying full-backs ready for Barca test have 318 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at April 29, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.