How far would you travel for crabs slathered in black pepper and spicy sauce, an experience that requires more napkins than you have hands, and is likely to blemish your clothes? If the crowds flocking to Yummy Tummy in Queens, New York City – despite no subway access – are any indication, people are happy to go the extra mile for one of Singapore’s most loved dishes. Long lines form outside the restaurant, especially on the evenings and weekends. Patrons come from all over New York and beyond, lured by the appetising smells of curry leaves, black pepper and chilli. Novelty may be one of the reasons for Yummy Tummy’s popularity. Despite Singapore’s reputation as a food paradise, its cuisine has not yet developed a profile in the United States. There are plenty of Southeast Asian flavours in the melting pot of New York, but Singaporean eateries are few and far between. For many years, Malaysian eateries like Kopitiam, Rasa, and the Nyonya chain were the closest thing New Yorkers had to a taste of Singapore. Even the Singapore consulate relied on these places to cater their National Day celebrations. That has changed in the past year, with a wave… Read full this story
- At Big Apple Circus, the ring is hers
- Apple warns its iPhone sales could take a big hit from China slowdown
- Apple warns that iPhone sales could take a big hit from China slowdown
- Food delivery apps are impacting your favorite restaurants, taking bite out of profits
- Why the Big Apple is the place to be on St. Patrick’s Day
- Protester takes bites from raw pig's head outside vegan food festival
- America’s trucking industry faces a shortage. Meet the immigrants helping fill the gap.
- In "Fake News" Era, Meet the Lawyer Taking on Media Titans
- SXSW: Democratic presidential candidates take on big tech during conference
- Google Fit gets ready to take on the Apple Watch
Meet the Singaporean immigrants taking a bite out of the Big Apple have 326 words, post on www.asiaone.com at April 28, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.