BUDAPEST – China’s Ma Long captured a third world table tennis title on Sunday, completing a dream comeback after six months on the sidelines with a knee injury.
The 30-year-old, nicknamed the ‘Dragon’, defeated Sweden’s Mattias Falck 4-1 in the final.
Ma is only the third man to claim three world titles after Victor Barna, who claimed four between 1932 and 1935, and Zhuang Zedong, the 1961, 1963 and 1965 champion.
In the women’s event, Liu Shiwen downed Chinese compatriot Chen Meng 4-2.
Ma also went home with the men’s doubles gold, teaming with Wang Chuqin while China completed the clean-sweep when Wang Manyu and Sun Yingsha took the women’s doubles title.
Ma Long (CHN) bt Mattias Falck (SWE) 4-1 (11-5, 11-7, 7-11, 11-9, 11-7)
Liu Shiwen (CHN) bt Chen Meng (CHN) 4-2 (9-11, 11-7, 11-7, 7-11, 11-0, 11-9)
Wang Manyu/Sun Yingsha (CHN) bt Hina Hayata/Mima Ito (JPN) 4-2 (8-11, 3-11, 11-8, 11-3, 12-10, 11-8)
Ma Long/Wang Chuqin (CHN) bt Ovidiu Ionescu/Alvaro Robles (ROM) 4-1 (11-3, 8-11, 11-7, 11-3, 11-5)
For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.
- Reese wins fourth long jump world title
- Disabled Jamesville cyclist wins 2 world titles in Italy
- Diving: Daley puts Rio failure behind him to regain world title
- Wlodarczyk hammers field to take third world title
- China Advances Plans For World's Longest Rail Tunnel To Connect Taiwan To Mainland
- OKC boxer Alex Saucedo to fight for world title at home
- Taylor still not happy after winning another world title
- Rojas wins triple jump to claim Venezuela's first world title
- Shotputter Walsh won world title with groin tear
- Gatlin feeling like the Justin who won world titles