WASHINGTON: Senator Richard Lugar, a leading US voice on foreign policy for decades and a onetime presidential candidate known for his civility and bipartisan ways, has died at a medical center in Falls Church, Virginia. He was 87.Lugar died of chronic inflammatory polyneuropathy, according to a statement from the Lugar Center in Washington, a global policy institute which he founded in 2013.A soft-spoken Republican moderate, Lugar was twice chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and built a reputation as one of Washington’s most influential foreign-policy voices during the record six terms he represented Indiana in the Senate.That reputation was burnished by his willingness to work across party lines, most famously when he joined Democratic senator Sam Nunn in 1991 to forge what became known as the Nunn-Lugar program to help former Soviet republics dismantle their nuclear arsenals.In a statement, Vice President Mike Pence - former governor of Indiana – mourned the loss of “one of our greatest statesmen.””Senator Lugar’s contributions to the life of our nation are countless,” he said.”America has lost a true statesman in Dick Lugar,” tweeted Pete Buttigieg, another Indiana native and current Democratic presidential aspirant. “A great mayor, senator and mentor, he made the world safer, stood… Read full this story
- Foreign Policy Mag: Kick China’s Confucius Institute Off Campus
- Foreign Policy Challenges For the Obama Administration and Possible Solutions
- Is Your Foreign Policy So Utterly Weak That One Blogger Stating the Truth Can Sink It?
- Biden jabs Warren on foreign policy, compares Trump to Nixon
- Diplomat says politicization of foreign policy disturbed him
- Diplomat says Trump's politicization of foreign policy disturbed him
- Rudy Giuliani faces more claims of interfering in foreign policy: Personal attorney repeatedly urged Donald Trump to kick out a Turkish cleric Erdogan blamed for an alleged coup attempt - at same time as representing Turkish-Iranian businessman
- Dangers of "Invade Now, Regret Later" Foreign Policy
- DEBATE: Warren Gets Heavy Scrutiny From Rivals; Foreign Policy Discussed
- Harry Dunn death: Foreign Office doubt Anne Sacoolas will return to UK
Richard Lugar, US foreign-policy luminary, dies at 87 have 344 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at April 29, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.