Chinese President Xi Jinping (R) meets with Papua New Guinea (PNG) Prime Minister Peter O’Neill, who is here to attend the Second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation, in Beijing, capital of China, April 25, 2019. (Xinhua/Yan Yan)
BEIJING, April 25 (Xinhua) — Chinese President Xi Jinping on Thursday met with Papua New Guinea (PNG) Prime Minister Peter O’Neill, who is here to attend the Second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation.
Recalling his state visit to PNG in November 2018, Xi said the relations between China and PNG is in the best period in history.
China highly appreciates PNG for prioritizing relations with China in its diplomacy and giving solid support to China on issues concerning China’s core interests, he said.
China supports PNG in choosing a development path on its own that is in line with its national conditions, Xi said.
China is willing to work with PNG to strengthen coordination and cooperation under the multilateral framework, so as to enhance the comprehensive strategic partnership between the two countries, he said.
PNG is in a leading position among the Pacific island countries in jointly building the Belt and Road, Xi said, adding that China and PNG should further expand cooperation and set an example for the island countries in building the Belt and Road.
China has no self interest in the Pacific island countries, and does not seek the so-called “sphere of influence,” Xi said, adding that China will always be a trustworthy friend and partner to these countries.
O’Neill expressed congratulations on the 70th founding anniversary of the People’s Republic of China, and on its achievement in economic development and poverty alleviation, which he said is also a contribution to the world peace and development.
O’Neill said President Xi’s visit to PNG last year is historic. PNG adheres to the one-China policy, and is willing to enhance cooperation with China under the Belt and Road framework, he added.
- Prime Minister: Twitter full of 'trolls and bottom feeders'
- The Endless Saga of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Taxpayer-Funded Hair
- India's Prime Minister: Nuclear power? Yes please!
- Prime Minister: Do we need social media bans for rioters?
- Modi Deserves Kudos For 'Chennai Connect' With Xi
- PM Tweets In 3 Languages As He Lands In Chennai For Meet With Xi Jinping
- PM Modi-Xi Jinping Meet Live Updates: In Tweets, PM's "Special Thanks" For Tamil Nadu
- Female New Zealand MPs Thrown Out of Session After Revealing Sexual Assault
- Our New President Is Going to Deal Us Into Oblivion
- Ivanka Takes Over for Her Father At G-20 Meeting, Reminding Us That We Can't Get Rid Of Her
- Australian ministers to meet with Google, Apple in the name of cybersecurity
- PM Modi to attend key financial conference in Saudi Arabia; to meet King Salman
- Silicon Valley innovation gets its due with new patent office
- What Time Is the New Korean War?
- Australia to get Cyber Minister as part of AU$240m cyber package
- Turnbull and Brandis meet with ISPs on data retention
- Web developers, IT support, cable joiners removed from new 457 visa job list
- Chinese hackers targeted New York Times for four months
- London's New Taxi Cab Is A Retro-Looking Hybrid From China's Geely
- Tourism ministry announces new 5 year visa being planned, other relaxations in e visa in the works
Xi meets Papua New Guinean prime minister have 539 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at April 26, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.