AFP marks anniversary of Benham Rise renaming
(The Philippine Star) – May 18, 2019 – 12:00am
MANILA, Philippines — The Armed Forces of the Philippines-Northern Luzon Command (AFP-Nolcom) celebrated the second anniversary of the renaming of Benham Rise to Philippine Rise on Thursday.
Highlighted by a simple flag-raising ceremony at Casiguran Bay aboard the Philippine Navy’s BRP Davao del Sur, the event was followed by the send-off of vessels from the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) and Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) to conduct maritime patrol around the Philippine Rise, a 13-million hectare underwater plateau located in the northeastern seaboard of the country.
“The celebration commemorates the second anniversary of the renaming of Benham Rise to Philippine Rise last May 16, 2017 and the sixth year after the Philippine Rise was awarded to the country and it was granted sovereign rites by the United Nations Convention of the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) by the United Nations over said maritime area last April 2012,” Nolcom spokesman Maj. Ericson Bulosan said.
Nolcom also hosted a maritime forum with fishermen in Casiguran, Aurora during the event, where maritime safety and pertinent laws and programs as well as initiatives for fishing and the welfare of people living on shoreline communities were discussed.
- Leicester open Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha Memorial Garden to mark anniversary
- Aberdeen animal charity to mark anniversary with dance event
- Peter Robertson Boulevard in Brampton renamed for Sikh religion founder Guru Nanak
- On the rise! More British travellers forecast to visit Germany in 2014 than ever before
- 'We will always be here in full force': War heroes and islanders brave freezing weather to mark 30th anniversary of Falklands liberation
- Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner will celebrate 10th wedding anniversary at 'rustic' Camp David with intimate party – and no paparazzi
- Sarah Hyland is a classic as she steps out after Bachelor-style anniversary date with fiance Wells Adams
- Star Wars director J.J. Abrams says he's 'not screwing around' with Rise Of Skywalker: 'Endings are the things that scare me the most'
- FSIN marks 15th anniversary of Stonechild report with oversight authority push
- Son, 25, sends his mother a wedding anniversary card from her husband who died 14 years ago in a car accident