AFP on red alert for May 13 polls (Philstar.com) – May 10, 2019 – 12:14pm MANILA, Philippines — The Armed Forces of the Philippines on Friday raised the red alert status for the upcoming midterm elections next week. AFP chief Gen. Benjamin Madrigal Jr. said the red alert status took effect on all military camps and units nationwide at 8 a.m. Friday. “This declaration is to ensure that our troops and all AFP personnel are ready to act on any emergency and thwart all possible threats that may arise,” Madrigal said in a statement. This declaration of the military is in support to the Commission on Elections, as well as the Philippine National Police, for the national and local elections on Monday. “We are ready to respond appropriately for the honest, orderly and peaceful conduct of elections,” the AFP chief said. AFP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Edgard Arevalo earlier said the military will be deploying aroung 35,000 troops for the elections. The PNP, meanwhile, will be deploying an estimated 143,000 police personnel to secure the polls. — Patricia Lourdes Viray
- ‘Beast from the East’ sparks red alert snow warning for Ireland
- Northern Ireland snow warnings: Cross-border transport hit due to Republic's 'red alert'
- People told not travel as Scotland on red alert for extreme weather
- Red alert issued as UK faces gales, blizzards and freezing rain
- Big freeze: UK on red alert as military drafted in
- People told not to travel in Scotland with red alert issued for extreme weather
- French Alps on red alert as avalanche threat reaches 'exceptional' level
- Met Office issues RED alert for extreme weather in Somerset
- Ireland on red alert as 'extraordinary' storm approaches
- France floods: Red alert warnings issued as river levels rise
AFP on red alert for May 13 polls have 283 words, post on www.philstar.com at May 9, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.