The Muang Samut Prakan police station was alerted of the death at 10pm and rushed to the scene at Soi Bang Pu 75 where they found the body of Sura Chaithaison, 65, in the back seat of his taxi. Police said the driver did not have any injuries.
His passenger, Sudjai Wangwisai, 34, told police that she hired the taxi from the Morchit Bus Terminal in Bangkok’s Chatuchak district to take her to her boarding house in the soi.
Sudjai said she talked to the driver along the way but he showed no signs of feeling unwell. However, when the taxi entered her soi, the driver appeared to have difficulty breathing and was panting audibly.
Sudjai said the driver continued to drive her to her boarding house. After she paid her fare, she noticed that his condition did not improve so she asked him to rest and drink water before driving off.
While he was resting, the driver started to convulse so Sudjai called for help from other tenants at the boarding house. They moved him to the back seat and planned to drive him to a hospital but were unable to start the taxi. They then called the emergency line of Rattharin Hospital. But by the time the ambulance arrived, the taxi driver had already died.
- Man held for murdering taxi driver in Hanoi
- Capital city taking taxi drivers for a ride
- Uber launch brings taxi drivers competition
- 500 taxi drivers in Hanoi fined for driving time violation
- Severe flooding drowns out Ho Chi Minh City taxi drivers
- Illegal taxi driver returns overcharged money to foreigners
- India to boost women taxi drivers, spurred by Uber rape claim
- Vietnamese taxi drivers cut fares to lure airport customers back from Uber, Grab
- HCM City taxis to issue passengers with receipts
- Minister praises taxi driver for helping pregnant woman