Voters are entitled to a verifiable paper audit trail. The Election Automation Law says so. The Supreme Court has ordered its enforcement. Yet the Comelec is resistant. For three elections it refused to issue receipts to comprise the voter-verified paper audit trail (VVPAT). In the last election, May 2016, the Comelec only partially implemented the law, but foiled the audit trail. Rules were concocted to render the receipts meaningless. Those rules even superseded the Omnibus Election Code. This May 2019 election watchdog groups are asking the SC to compel the Comelec once and for all to have a full paper audit trail. That way the watchdogs can countercheck the accuracy of the count. At the close of balloting, volunteer voters can check and photograph the paper receipts in their precinct. The photos shall form part of the audit trail. The precinct count should not deviate from the volunteers’ audit. That can avert manipulation of the machine count that the voters cannot see. With voters having audit trails of their precinct results, the municipal, city, provincial, district, and national tabulations can be counterchecked too. The VVPAT is one of 15 basic features required of a vote counting machine (VCM). Smartmatic Corp…. Read full this story
- Muslim women discriminated by personal law? SC asks Centre to submit high level panel’s report
- Triple Talaq: Is What Is Sinful In The Eyes Of God Lawful? SC Asks [Also Read Written Submission By Shayara Bano]
- Watchdog: ‘Reason To Believe’ Trump And Super PAC Violated Election Law
- Changes to Ohio Election Law
- Rep. Denham: Calif. Republicans Need to Understand Election Law
- “Now It’s like Kill Official Who comes To Implement SC Order.Where Is Rule Of Law?”, SC Slams HP Govt Over Kasauli Murder
- MPs/MLAs Not Full Time Salaried Employees; No Restriction On Them In Practising Law : SC [Read Judgment]
- 9th District chaos: Cooper plans interim elections board, Harris asks to be named winner
- The midterm election had many asking an unusual question: Did Tarrant turn blue?
- Top law schools ask law firms to disclose arbitration agreements for summer associates
Compel Comelec to obey election law, SC asked have 351 words, post on www.philstar.com at May 1, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.