THIS article is in response to “Debunking arguments against the PTMP” (Speak Up, April 29) prepared by SRS Consortium, the project delivery partner (PDP) for the Penang Transport Master Plan (PTMP). Population projection SRS’s PTMP proposal projected a Penang state population of 2.45 million people by 2030 with over 350,000 people on three reclaimed islands. However, according to data from the Department of Statistics: The population of Penang is only projected to be 1.94 million by 2040. The annual net migration has averaged only around 9,400 people the past 20 years. Net migration to Penang was only 1,300 people in 2013. Therefore, to reach SRS’s projection of 2.45 million people by 2030, Penang would need a massive net-in migration of over 50,000 people every year. In other words, Penang’s net migration would need to grow by over 3700% from 2013 and be maintained at five times the average of the past two decades. Such massive and sustained increases in migration only generally occur in response to famine, war or internal displacement of people. SRS Consortium also projects the population in the three reclaimed islands will grow at around 6,000 to 7,000 people a year. By looking at the annual net… Read full this story
- Developers of Gaylord project in Aurora secure $500M loan, but critics question financing
- Tri-State Alliance continues activities amid criticism, questions
- Providing care for veterans is essential. How and where are critical questions.
- Trump Says He Has Answered Mueller Questions
- Odell Beckham Jr. on Onside Kick: 'My Heart, Effort Should Never Be Questioned'
- WATCH LIVE: Pres. Trump's AG pick to face questions on his Russia probe views
- Pres. Trump says he answered written questions in Mueller probe
- SCOTUS to Hear Census Citizenship Question Case
- Trump Refuses to Answer When Questioned About Insults and Criticism of George H.W. Bush and Family
- Wheeling City Leaders Respond To Criticism of Garage Plans
Critical questions over PTMP have 303 words, post on www.thesundaily.my at May 2, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.