Ex-Customs exec arrested for extortion try
(The Philippine Star) – May 24, 2019 – 12:00am
MANILA, Philippines — A former deputy commissioner of the Bureau of Customs (BOC) and a broker have been apprehended in Quezon City for allegedly attempting to extort P500,000 from an importer of gun parts.
Roberto Geotina and Nancy Nuguid were arrested by agents of the BOC Intelligence Group and National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) in an entrapment operation in a restaurant along Timog Avenue on May 22.
Customs Intelligence and Investigation Service director Jeoffrey Tacio said Geotina and Nuguid pretended to be Customs officers.
Tacio said the suspects tried to extort money from Shacka Guns and Ammo, which imports gun parts.
On May 20, Tacio said the BOC received a complaint from the company that the suspects demanded money in exchange for the release of the shipments of gun parts.
The BOC coordinated with NBI Special Action Unit chief Emeterio Dongallo Jr. and conducted the operation against the suspects.
Charges of estafa, robbery and extortion will be filed against the suspects, Dongallo said.
Customs Commissioner Rey Leonardo Guerrero said they would conduct an investigation to determine if other personalities connived with the suspects in their extortion racket.
“We will not tolerate extortion and corruption in the bureau,” Guerrero said.
- Unpaid ex-Customs benefits: Stakeholders call for Buhari’s intervention
- Acting Customs chief says Bahamians trying to enter US will be reviewed on 'case-by-case basis'
- US Based ex-Nigerian Basketball player sues Nigeria Customs for alleged extortion
- Robert Herjavec Sues Ex-Girlfriend, She's Extorting Me Over False Sexual Assault Claims
- Translation, UnitedMasters Combine for New Brand-Marketing Initiatives Under Ex-Nielsen Exec Damian Garbaccio
- Ex-cop is arrested for his wife's murder, three years after his fellow officers ruled it a suicide - even though she was found shot in the BACK of the head
- Man arrested for trying to jump White House fence, assaulting police officer, Secret Service says
- Ex-Juul exec says he was fired after raising concerns about unsafe pods
- A sham Qatar deal could have cost ex Barclays exec $64 million, court hears
- Kenya Moore's Ex Matt Jordan Arrested in Arizona, Allegedly Punched GF