NAIROBI: Liverpool striker Divock Origi and Tottenham Hotspur’s Victor Wanyama are the talk of Kenya ahead of Saturday’s (Jun 1) European Champions League final in Madrid.In football-mad Kenya, a nation of 50 million in East Africa, there is hope the two players can shine a positive spotlight on it as fans relish the prospect of a key Kenyan role, even if Origi is Belgian born.While Kenyan fans already have the feast of the Africa Cup of Nations to look forwards to in June, the Champions League final is dividing opinion on the training ground at Nairobi club Ligi Ndogo.”This is the first time two players of Kenyan origin will take part in a Champion’s League final,” says 28-year-old youth coach Kenneth Amolo.”Wanyama and Origi will represent Kenya on the world stage, it’s great.” Another youth coach taking a break from action, Lawrence Omondi, tells AFP he’ll be supporting Spurs.”Wanyama is the captain of our national side, and he is our best player, so we have to back him.””We have to back the captain of the national side, right,” he insisted of Wanyama, who won his first Kenya full international cap at 15.Wanyama is a solid central midfielder but is also… Read full this story
- Ryan Bertrand has glorious debut for Chelsea in Champions League final
- Roman Abramovich's quest for Champions League glory with Chelsea
- Stadium questions linger but Spurs dare to dream in Champions League
- Last 16 power rankings: Which is the best team left in the Champions League?
- Europe's elite leagues take over Champions League
- Jürgen Klopp says Champions League proposals are ‘absolute bollocks’
- Champions League final: As gladiators clash, Messi is the champion
- Champions League: Bayern Munich brush aside Jose Mourinho’s Tottenham to claim perfect six
- Real Madrid win Champions League as Cristiano Ronaldo double defeats Juve
- Juventus 1-4 Real Madrid: how they rated in the Champions League final
Football: Origi and Wanyama put Kenya on Champions League map have 326 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at May 31, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.