I am distraught as I see the results of the senatorial elections. How can we, as a nation, choose ________, _______, _______ (fill in the blanks) over qualified candidates who understand law crafting, a job that’s highly cerebral and requires high moral integrity? I cannot seem to make sense out of this. Even if I immerse myself in the use of the principles of Behavioral Economics (fusion of traditional Economics and Psychology) and know that we use our limbic brain first, then rationalize later with our pre-frontal cortex, things still don’t add up. Then I remember this article written a couple of years ago that facts don’t change people’s minds. (Click link) The human mind is just way too stubborn that even hard cold facts won’t change what it believes. Remember confirmation bias that I’ve discussed in previous articles and FQwentuhans? It is a cognitive impartiality that favors information that confirms with our previously existing beliefs. This is the reason why getting into a debate head on with someone who has opposite views on politics, religion, even money, using facts is futile. This is because indeed, facts don’t change people’s minds. So what change people’s minds? There are some ways discussed… Read full this story
- 'We need your help. Don't let a Brexit No Deal haunt our lives in France'
- 'We need your help. Don't let a no-deal Brexit haunt our lives in France'
- 7 things not to say to women who don’t have children
- Fair Employers Don’t Derecognise Trade Unions – Cornerstone are Out of Order
- ‘Is it OK if I still don’t want my son to be gay?’ What Kevin Hart should’ve said as he quit Oscars
- Never Cross a Picket Line – Don’t Be a Scab
- Opinion: I'm so glad Sinead O'Connor found peace in Islam – but I don't want to be told to 'just do it' and wear a hijab
- We Don’t Need New Laws to Fight Right-Wing Terror. We Need to Call It by Its Name.
- Inside the hunt for the world’s most dangerous terrorist
Indeed: Facts don’t change people’s minds! have 357 words, post on www.philstar.com at May 14, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.