An Indonesian convicted in the Philippines in 2012 for drug trafficking has returned home after years of ensuing court hearings, the Foreign Ministry announced on Monday, after an appeals court recently overturned her life sentence. Dwi Wulandari, 38, was charged with smuggling 6 kilograms of cocaine into the Philippines after she was arrested at Ninoy Aquino International Airport on Sept. 29, 2012. She was handed a life sentence by the Pasay City Regional Trial Court (Br. 231) in 2017 but appealed the verdict with the help of public attorneys. “On March 29, […] the presiding judge at the Manila Court of Appeal (Div. 7) ruled that [she] was not guilty of all charges and overturned the previous verdict,” said Judha Nugraha, the Foreign Ministry’s acting director for overseas citizen protection, in a statement late Monday. With assistance from Indonesian Embassy officials in Manila, Dwi returned home to her family in Blitar, East Java, on Sunday, Judha said. Indonesia and the Philippines have some of the harshest antinarcotics initiatives in the region. Indonesia executes convicted drug traffickers and faced a backlash in 2015 when it executed several foreign nationals. Mary Jane Veloso, a Filipina convict, escaped execution at the last minute… Read full this story
- Three Lao men to die for drug trafficking
- Large cache of drugs found drifting at sea in Kancheepuram district
- Mexico drug cartel figure's son indicted on US drug charges
- Video of Alleged Drug Cartel Plane Set on Fire in Mexico Shared Online
- Hundreds of revellers escape locked-down Leicester and invade sleepy market town for a night on the booze as pubs reopen - leaving streets looking like a 'war zone'
- Ex-rap promoter Henchman convicted in murder-for-hire scheme
- Cosby Citing Systemic Racism as He Fights Assault Conviction
- Police Arrest Mexican Drug Lord 'El Chapo's' Son, Release Him Later to Protect Lives - Reports
- Investors cut back on Asian FX positions as second-wave risks mount: Reuters poll
- Mexican President Admits He Personally Ordered Release of El Chapo’s Son
Indonesian escapes drug smuggling conviction in the Philippines have 324 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at May 20, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.