Iran on Monday dismissed as old news a US announcement it is sending a naval strike group to the Middle East in order to deliver the Islamic republic a message, Tasnim news agency reported. US National Security Advisor John Bolton said on Sunday that the United States was deploying the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group and a bomber task force as a “clear and unmistakeable message” that it will retaliate against any attack on its interests or its allies’ by Iran. “Bolton’s statement is a clumsy use of an out-of-date event for psychological warfare,” Iran’s supreme national security council spokesman Keyvan Khosravi said, quoted by Tasnim. According to the spokesman, Iranian armed forces had observed the carrier entering the Mediterranean Sea 21 days ago. Bolton “lacks military and security understanding and his remarks are mostly meant to draw attention to himself,” Khosravi added. The USS Abraham Lincoln has previously been deployed to the Gulf, including during the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq. The US statement did not specifically state why the deployment was taking place now. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the United States had seen “escalatory actions” from Iranians and that the country would be held “accountable… Read full this story
- Hayden: Israel's News About Iran's Nuclear Capability 'Old News'
- Iran to Re-Deploy Warships to America’s Backyard in the Atlantic
- US military warns Iran over naval activity in the Strait of Hormuz
- Iran Dismisses Israeli Atomic Warehouse Claims as ‘Arts and Craft Show’
- Outgoing IDF Chief: Iran Wants to Deploy 100,000 Fighters in Syria
- For One Law Firm, Canceled Summer Associate Program Is Old News
- Iran to send warships to the Atlantic, closer to U.S. waters
- Iran's elite naval forces said to pass skills to proxy fighters
- Mordaunt urges Iran to de-escalate Gulf tensions
- The Latest: Iran envoy to Japan seeks support over US crisis
Iran dismisses US naval deployment as old news have 313 words, post on en.rfi.fr at May 6, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.