TEHRAN: Iran has decided to suspend some of its commitments under a landmark 2015 nuclear deal with major powers abandoned by Washington last year, the foreign ministry announced on Wednesday. “The decision of the high security council to ‘stop acting on some of the Islamic Republic of Iran’s commitments under the JCPOA (nuclear deal)’ was communicated to the heads of state of the countries” still party to the deal – Britain, China, France, Germany and Russia, the ministry said. It said deputy Deputy Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi had handed the decision to the ambassadors of the five countries in a meeting on Wednesday. The meeting came after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accused Iran of planning “imminent” attacks on a hastily organised visit to neighbouring Iraq on Tuesday. Washington has also deployed an aircraft carrier strike group and several massive, nuclear-capable B-52 bombers to the Middle East as national security adviser John Bolton warned Washington would respond with “unrelenting force” to any attack by Tehran. Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif dismissed the US military deployments and stressed that Iran’s actions were not in breach of the nuclear deal it signed with major powers. “The Islamic republic has seen… Read full this story
- Qasem Soleimani: Let British troops stay in Iraq, UK urges
- Coronavirus live updates: Unemployment claims double record in a week
- Coronavirus live updates: Oprah to donate $10 million
Iran to suspend some nuclear deal commitments: Ministry have 241 words, post on www.thesundaily.my at May 7, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.