Nairobi (AFP) Kenya’s Olympic 800 metres bronze medallist Margaret Nyairera Wambui can feel her career slipping away from her, with no idea when, or if, she will be able to compete internationally again.The 24-year-old is one of several star female athletes affected by an International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) ruling this month that requires women with high levels of testosterone to take medication to suppress it.Seated at a dirt-track stadium at the foot of the Ngong Hills outside Nairobi where she trains, Wambui has just returned from a disappointing sixth-place finish in the 800m at the Doha Diamond League.She was meant to leave for the IAAF World Challenge athletics meeting in Nanjing next week, but now her future is one big question mark.”I am very disappointed, I don’t feel even like going on with the training because you don’t know what you are training for,” she told AFP.The new IAAF rules took effect on May 8 after South Africa’s two-time Olympic 800m champion Caster Semenya lost a legal challenge against them.For about a decade Semenya has been the symbol of a furious debate worldwide about questions of gender, women with elevated testosterone, and physical advantage.However other athletes such as… Read full this story
- Channel 4 could cancel this year’s Great British Bake Off over fears lockdown rules prevent contestants travelling to the show’s tent
- 'Mixed messages': UK government's strategy fuels fears of rule-breaking
- SPFL has 'nothing to fear' over season-end vote, says chief executive Neil Doncaster
- WR Hilton expresses desire to end career with Colts
- Aaron Rodgers Says It 'May Not Be a Reality' To End Career With Green Bay Packers
- Christie: Supreme Court's 'Bridgegate' ruling ends 'political crusade'
- Locked up for being sick: Kenyan prisoners recount their experience
- Ethiopian Military Admits Downing Aid Plane in Somalia Over Suicide Attack Fears
- Kenyan’s last-breath sprint snags victory in Sao Paulo race
- I #RunWithMaud. All runners need to
Kenyan runner Wambui fears testosterone rules will end career have 331 words, post on www.france24.com at May 15, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.