GEORGE TOWN: Any mention of S. M. Mohamed Idris (pix) will conjure up his appearance in a black songkok, a sarong and white kurta as well as his iconic beard. Many have looked to him as a consumer and environment champion for being vocal with criticisms and views on such matters. Sadly yesterday, at 5pm, the nation lost this very iconic figure who was not only known in Malaysia but also in the international arena. Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister (KPDNHEP), Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail described the death of the Penang Consumer Association president as a big loss to the country and his stature was irreplaceable. “Uncle S. M. Idris, is a big name and is also an institution. He is synonymous with environmental sustainability, healthy food, protector of the marginalised, consumer rights and defender of the country in world trade. “For certain this is a huge loss for the nation and a man who would be difficult to replace. Mohamed is a figure and an institution himself through his struggles for his ideals. I expressed my deepest condolences to his family on behalf of myself and PKR,” he told reporters after paying his last respects on Mohamed… Read full this story
- Onondaga Nation loses bid for 2.5 million acres in Central New York they claim was swindled by state
- Scientists: Common antimicrobial chemicals can harm people, environment
- PORTER: What do we lose when nuclear plant closes?
- Obama makes Stonewall Inn first national monument of LGBT movement
- Stephen Strasburg declines Game 4 start after rainout, leaving Nationals running for cover
- Design it yourself Moto X a solid phone for consumers
- Remembering Tom Petty, American icon and eternal rock 'n' roll underdog
- Remembering Prince: 10 classic albums from the revolutionary pop icon
- Why consumer groups are ready to fight Trump rollback of financial safeguards
- Horticultural Therapy: The fertile ground of consumer horticulture
Nation loses consumer and environment icon have 314 words, post on www.thesundaily.my at May 16, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.