MADRID: Real Madrid’s harrowing season came to a fittingly miserable end on Sunday as they slumped to a staggering 12th La Liga defeat, losing 2-0 at home to Real Betis as many fans left the stadium early and those who stayed booed the players off the pitch.
With Gareth Bale, Toni Kroos and Thibaut Courtois all sitting on the bench, Betis forward Loren Moron put the visitors in front in the 61st minute, completing a sweeping counter-attack by slamming the ball into the roof of the net from close range.
Former Madrid forward Jese Rodriguez sealed the victory for Betis, who finished the season 10th in the standings but have earned away victories at the Nou Camp and the Santiago Bernabeu, by tapping into the net unmarked in the 75th.
Madrid ended the campaign third in the standings on 68 points with their biggest number of defeats in two decades. They finished eight points behind runners up Atletico Madrid and are 18 behind champions Barcelona, who visit Eibar later on Sunday.
(Reporting by Richard Martin; Editing by Toby Davis)
- Raheem Sterling opens contract talks with Man City over increasing his £300,000-a-week wages as Real Madrid circle
- Real Madrid star Hazard singled out as Mikel's laziest former team-mate
- Paulo Dybala saves Juventus with stunning double against Lokomotiv Moscow, as Toni Kroos gives Real Madrid nervy win
- Gareth Bale set to be offered Tottenham return as new boss Jose Mourinho lines up sensational transfer from Real Madrid
- Eden Hazard admits he was ELEVEN pounds overweight joining Real Madrid from Chelsea but ‘lost it all in ten days’
- Real Madrid fans moan about ‘fat’ Hazard and accuse club of editing photo
- Chelsea star Willian ‘offered to Real Madrid but Zidane turns down transfer’ as winger runs down contract
- Super Cup defeat adds to Real Madrid’s post-Ronaldo narrative of negativity
- Gareth Bale booed as Real Madrid stay joint top of La Liga
- La Liga: Sergio Ramos Strikes Again as Real Madrid Prosper From Barcelona Hangover