RIYADH: Saudi Arabia replaced the head of its civil aviation authority on Wednesday (May 8), after lengthy flight delays at domestic airports disrupted journeys at the start of a busy annual travel season.A royal decree appointed Abdelhadi al-Mansouri president of the General Authority for Civil Aviation (GACA), which oversees airport operations across the country. His predecessor was sacked in January.Local media reported cancellations and delays of up to 11 hours over the past five days as the Muslim holy month of Ramadan began, with many people making pilgrimage to Mecca and Medina or visiting family in other cities.Disgruntled travellers took to social media to complain. A photo of an information board at Riyadh airport showed delays on almost every domestic route, and a video showed scores of people crowded outside a state-owned Saudi Arabian Airlines (Saudia) ticket office.One passenger told Reuters that delays on Saudia had forced him to re-book on a different airline two days later. Another traveller said she saw no delays or crowding by Wednesday morning when she flew out of Riyadh with another carrier.Saudia, which seemed to have most of the delays, called them “exceptional” and attributed them to “unusual operation conditions”.A GACA spokesman told Al… Read full this story
- Saudi Arabia coach says his team are still in dark over why their plane caught fire
- Saudi Arabia's Plane for World Cup Catches Fire in Mid-Air After 'Malfunction'
- Saudi Arabia 2018 FIFA World Cup preview: Everything you need to know
- WWE remove Crown Jewel PPV from event calendar amid axe rumours after Saudi Arabia links to death of journalist
- WWE remove Crown Jewel PPV from event calendar amid axe speculation after Saudi Arabia links to death of journalist
- WWE remove Crown Jewel Pay-Per-View event from calendar amid axe from Saudi Arabia over links to journalist death
- WWE take Crown Jewel PPV event off official calendar amid Saudi Arabia links to death of journalist
- World Cup 2018, Russia vs Saudi Arabia: What time is kick-off tomorrow, what TV channel is it on and what is our prediction?
- Luis Suarez nudges unconvincing Uruguay into second round as Saudi Arabia slump out
- Russia vs Saudi Arabia, World Cup 2018: What time is kick-off, what TV channel is it on and what is our prediction?
Saudi Arabia replaces civil aviation head amid airport delays have 380 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at May 8, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.