Toronto police made an arrest Sunday after a man wearing face paint resembling the Joker allegedly stole a tip jar from a restaurant in Kensington Market.
A security video posted by Wafels & More owner Christophe Stevens gathered thousands of views on Facebook. It shows a man in Joker makeup with green-coloured hair speaking to a staff member at the cash register on May 5.
The man then takes a jar of tips and walks out of the store when the staff member turns around.
Stevens filed a complaint with police early Saturday.
Stevens said he had seen the man in his store before, and that other Kensington store owners have reached out to him to share reports of thefts.
“There’s some strange people in Kensington, so it’s not that surprising to me that this happened,” he said. “I’m not sure if it’s intentional that he appears to be dressed like the Joker from the Batman comics, but it certainly caught people’s attention that he looked like that online on Facebook.”
Timothy Lubin, 29, of Toronto, was charged with theft. He is expected to appear in court Monday.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-1400 or call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).
With files from Temur Durrani
Sherina Harris is a breaking news reporter, working out of the Star’s radio room in Toronto. Follow her on Twitter: @sherinaharris
- British Police - A Most Arresting Fancy Dress Theme
- In England A Child Denounces His Mother For Smacking His Brother And The Police Arrest His Parents
- How to Get a Man - 5 Simple Tips to Get Yourself a Man Easily!
- Formal Prom Dresses 10 Tips on Preparing For Your Prom
- Signs Of A Cheating Man - 10 Top Tips On How To Catch Him With His Trousers Down
- How To Meet The Right Man For You - Tips On Dating For Baby Boomers Looking For Relationships
- Learn How to Make Your Man Love You - Tips to Make Him Fall in Love
- Florida police tell man to quit calling about stolen marijuana
- Aerobics 'Iron Man' Dress Code
- The Search For a Wedding Dress - Expert Tips You Can't Do Without