WASHINGTON/BEIJING: China struck a more aggressive tone in its trade war with the United States on Friday, suggesting a resumption of talks between the world’s two largest economies would be meaningless unless Washington changed course.The tough talk capped a week that saw Beijing unveil fresh retaliatory tariffs, U.S. officials accuse China of backtracking on promises made during months of talks and the Trump administration level a potentially crippling blow against one of China’s biggest and most successful companies.Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang, asked about state media reports suggesting there would be no more trade negotiations, said China always encouraged resolving disputes with the United States through dialogue and consultations. ”But because of certain things the U.S. side has done during the previous China-U.S. trade consultations, we believe if there is meaning for these talks, there must be a show of sincerity,” he told a daily news briefing.The United States raised Beijing’s ire this week when it announced it was putting Huawei Technologies Co Ltd, the world’s biggest telecoms equipment maker, on a blacklist that could make it extremely hard to do business with U.S. companies.China has yet to say whether or how it will retaliate, although its state media is… Read full this story
- China’s Trade With US Shrinks by Double Digits in August
- Dow surges 450 points as US and China set trade talks
- China foreign trade contracts amid rising competition, mounting frictions
- Bridging the gap? 'Tough talking' in London
- China foreign trade down for ninth consecutive month
- Arrogant Eurocrats spark outrage by trying to bully the Brexit Secretary David Davis with tough talk at crunch meetings
- Tough-talking Putin vows to continue bombing of ‘the innocents’ in Syria saying civilian deaths are a ‘sad reality of war’
- Tough Talking Behind the Smiles
- Will Tillerson back up tough talk on the South China Sea?
- Philippines elects new tough talking president
Tough talk from China leaves trade talks with US in limbo have 329 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at May 18, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.