WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump on Wednesday tightened the screws further on Iran with sanctions on its mining industry after a frustrated Tehran said it would suspend some promises it made under a nuclear deal rejected by Washington. On the anniversary of Trump’s withdrawal from the accord he denounced as “horrible,“ tensions were soaring as the United States deployed an aircraft carrier strike group and nuclear-capable bombers to the region and accused Iran of “imminent” attacks. In an announcement previewed for days, Iran said it would immediately stop implementing some restrictions under the 2015 deal – a move aimed largely at pressing Washington’s European allies to step up to preserve the agreement. Tehran said it would abandon even more if the remaining parties to the agreement – Britain, China, France, Germany and Russia – failed to start delivering on their commitments to sanctions relief within 60 days. President Hassan Rouhani said the ultimatum was intended to rescue the nuclear deal from Trump, whose sanctions have caused severe pain in Iran – which had anticipated an economic boon from the agreement negotiated under then-president Barack Obama. “We felt the (deal) needed surgery and that the year-long sedatives have not delivered any… Read full this story
- Iran nuclear deal can be saved by goodwill not sanctions: Slovakia's IAEA hopeful says
- Trump Administration Labels Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps a 'Terrorist Organization'
- Federal Watchdog Probes Trump Admin Push for Saudi Nuke Deal
- Trump announces withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal
- Trump's move to end Iran nuclear deal makes America less safe
- Trump to pressure Iran by branding its Guard a terror group
- Trump and Iran nuclear deal: Smart chess play could motivate the mullahs
- What happens next if Trump refuses to certify the Iran nuclear deal: three scenarios
- Iran nuclear deal could crumble in 2019
- Analysis: Trump warning to Iran could backfire
Trump moves to strangle Iran economy as nuclear deal withers have 306 words, post on www.thesundaily.my at May 8, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.