DOHA: American B-52 Stratofortress bombers sent to the Middle East over what Washington describes as threats from Iran have arrived at a US base in Qatar, US Central Command (CENTCOM) said.
The US military said on Tuesday that a number of B-52 bombers would be part of additional forces being sent to the Middle East to counter what the Trump administration says are “clear indications” of threats from Iran to US forces there.
Iran has dismissed the new US deployments, including of an aircraft carrier, as old news announced now to intimidate it through “psychological warfare”, at a time when Washington is also tightening financial sanctions. The USS Abraham Lincoln is replacing another carrier rotated out of the Gulf last month.
A picture taken by US Air Force personnel stationed in Al Udaid air base and posted on the CENTCOM website showed two aircraft. The caption said: “B-52 Arrival. US B-52H Stratofortress aircraft assigned to the 20th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron are parked on a flight line May 8, 2019.”
The media officer at Al Udaid, near Doha, did not immediately respond to a phone call and email requesting comment and details. CENTCOM is responsible for US military operations in the Middle East and Afghanistan.
Washington has tightened sanctions on Iran this month, eliminating waivers that had allowed some countries to buy its oil, with a goal of reducing Tehran’s crude exports to zero. Iran has responded by scaling back some curbs on its nuclear programme, although it remains compliant with a deal to restrict its nuclear activity which Washington abandoned a year ago.
- America Can Benefit from the New Middle East | Opinion
- More B-52 Bombers Arrive in Qatar to Protect US Troop Pullout From Afghanistan
- COVID-19 vaccine inequity threatens the Middle East's economic recovery: IMF
- President Trump and His Team Deserve the Nobel Prize for Middle East Peace | Opinion
- The Middle East Cannot Afford for Jordan to Become a Second Libya | Opinion
- Biden needs to tear down bureaucratic walls and refocus Middle East programs
- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang to Embark on Middle East Tour
- Swedish Report Reveals Seething Anti-Semitism With Roots in Middle East in Schools
- Long-term prospects for Vietnamese ties with Middle East, Africa
- Mercenary business: Middle East tension sparks boom for UK-led private security
- World Insights: Chinese FM touts fruitful Middle East tour, enhanced cooperation with regional countries
- West's Libya Bombing 10 Years Ago Drove Vladimir Putin to Middle East Showdown with U.S.
- Chinese FM unveils initiative for security, stability in Middle East
- As China faces sanctions from the West, it looks to the Middle East for alliance and influence
- Joe Biden is already carving out a different Middle East policy from Trump — and even Obama
- How India plans to reduce its dependence on Middle East oil
- Inside the Middle East's growing love for eSports
- FM Wang's Middle East visit marks high importance of region
- China shares wisdom for Middle East stability: China Daily editorial
- ‘Dune’ Outfit DNEG Appoints Global Head Of Research; ‘The Night’ Composer Launches Middle East Mentoring Program — Global Briefs
US B-52 bombers reach Middle East in message to Iran have 488 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at May 10, 2019. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.